Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Santa Barbara Condor Express Pelagic - Moved to Sunday the 15th

Expand Messages
  • toddamcgrath
    Birders, The forecast for Saturday has deteriorated offshore to the point where Capt. Matt feels it would be better to go Sunday. The weather for Sunday looks
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 13, 2009
    • 0 Attachment
      Birders,

      The forecast for Saturday has deteriorated offshore to the point where Capt. Matt feels it would be better to go Sunday. The weather for Sunday looks quite good, with winds 10knots less than Saturday. The Sea Landing will be calling all the particpants and asking them if they can make it Sunday. We need 40 of the sixty plus particpants to make it a go, so I am confident that we can get the folks required. The current forecast would be marginal at best, and likely wuld result in a cancellation at the dock tomorrow.

      Deepwater trips in early spring and late fall are subject to this kind of weather issue, and Matt has been great about rearranging the boat's schedule to try and get us offshore.

      I am confident we will get offshore Sunday, as the weather looks much improved, with both the NOAA forecast and satellite wind projections showing a much nicer day.

      If you were not booked on Saturday,but can make it Sunday, I suspect that there will be a few spots. Call the SeaLanding at 888-77WHALE or 805-882-0088, and they will let you know if there is room on Sunday.

      Todd McGrath
      SKUA@...
      Calabasas and offshore SUNDAY!
    • thunefeld
      Todd, Thanks for posting early regarding the Condor Express trip. Most or all of us from San Diego have set our Motel 6 reservations back 24 hours and eagerly
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 13, 2009
      • 0 Attachment
        Todd,

        Thanks for posting early regarding the Condor Express trip. Most or all of us from San Diego have set our Motel 6 reservations back 24 hours and eagerly anticipate this trip, and we may even add one or two more participants for Sunday.

        Only 6 Stejneger's Petrels have been recorded and accepted in California waters, 4 in mid-November. We are in the heart of the calendar's sweet spot for this mega-rarity, exactly 30 years (to the week!) after McCaskie and Stallcup's first historic sighting. In light of the phenomenal Cook's Petrel year we've had, plus the perfect wind conditions forecast for Sunday, this trip has incredible promise.

        I know the call to invoke a one-day delay after the one-week delay was a "damned if you do and damned if you don't" call for you and Matt to make, but I have enormous respect for the way your team factors in birding opportunity, safety and passenger comfort into your decisions. Now birders from all around California have the opportunity to see that we'll have ideal conditions Sunday, call the Condor Express and reserve a space, drive to Santa Barbara on Saturday and be back in their own beds Sunday evening after what promises to be a rollicking good time on Sunday.

        Trip Details:
        http://www.socalbirding.com/release/santabarbaranov72009.html

        Condor Landing: (805) 882-0088.

        Terry

        ***********

        W. Terry Hunefeld, Encinitas
        Life is short. Seabird often.
        In memory of Luke Cole
        "Come on out with us to see what's out there."

        Southern California Seabirding Trips
        by: Buena Vista Audubon Society
        http://www.SoCalBirding.com
        Los Coronados Islands & Nine Mile Bank
        all the way to the edge of the Continental Shelf


        --- In CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com, "toddamcgrath" <toddamcgrath@...> wrote:
        >
        > Birders,
        >
        > The forecast for Saturday has deteriorated offshore to the point where Capt. Matt feels it would be better to go Sunday. The weather for Sunday looks quite good, with winds 10knots less than Saturday. The Sea Landing will be calling all the particpants and asking them if they can make it Sunday. We need 40 of the sixty plus particpants to make it a go, so I am confident that we can get the folks required. The current forecast would be marginal at best, and likely wuld result in a cancellation at the dock tomorrow.
        >
        > Deepwater trips in early spring and late fall are subject to this kind of weather issue, and Matt has been great about rearranging the boat's schedule to try and get us offshore.
        >
        > I am confident we will get offshore Sunday, as the weather looks much improved, with both the NOAA forecast and satellite wind projections showing a much nicer day.
        >
        > If you were not booked on Saturday,but can make it Sunday, I suspect that there will be a few spots. Call the SeaLanding at 888-77WHALE or 805-882-0088, and they will let you know if there is room on Sunday.
        >
        > Todd McGrath
        > SKUA@...
        > Calabasas and offshore SUNDAY!
        >
      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.