Fort Rosecrans to San Deguito (San Diego Co.)

  • MiriamEagl@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2002
      Hi, all!

      Hit a variety of spots along the coast today with some great results: started
      at the Bennington Monument area of Fort Rosecrans, then up to La Jolla Cove,
      then a quick stop at the Scripps Coastal Reserve, then finally to the
      overlook at San Deguito Lagoon.

      Fort Rosecrans started off kinda slow (had the only Flicker of the day bounce
      by); heard a Selasphorus right off the bat, but never could get a look to see
      if it was Joe's Rufous or not. A big fat Robin sat up on a gravestone and
      stared mt in the face before jumping down and pulling out the traditional
      worm from the grass, surrounded by Juncos and Butterbutts poking around in
      the grass as well. Over by the concrete wall just down the hill from the
      monument I kicked up a Hermit Thrush and a curious Golden-crowned Sparrow,
      but just beyond them were the jewels: a couple of White-throated Sparrows!
      (Now I'm caught up with you, Joan! ;-) ) I knew they had been reported, but
      with my propensity for missing the vagrants at this place, I was very
      pleased! Lots of Orange-crowned Warblers were around and came in very close
      (one was singing a real odd song), and a Wilson's sang over the fence and
      down the hill. A couple of Cooper's Hawk performed a display flight on the
      way back to the car.

      I miraculously got a parking spot outside the Cave Store at La Jolla Cove,
      although that meant that I'd have to come back up that killer hill! That was
      okay, cuz when I got back to the car after the hike the Summer Tanager was
      calling away in a nearby tree! But I'm getting ahead of myself... The tide
      was in, so things seemed kinda sparse along the rocks; just the usual
      assortment of Western, Heermann's, and Ring-billed Gulls. The Brandt's
      Cormorants were in spectacular breeding plumage, and a careful check of the
      corms whizzing by produced a handful of Pelagics (made it real easy when
      there was one flying next to a Brandt's!). Things really didn't start
      getting interesting until I was all the way down to Children's Cove: resting
      on the bench I actually was able to pick out several Black-vented Shearwaters
      just below the horizon, rapidly flashing white against the water! I was
      pondering how similar the young Heermann's Gull's jizz is to a jaeger's when
      speak of the devil: a Parasitic Jaeger pumped by heading north! Good for the
      day but less exciting was a Royal Tern going the opposite direction. And on
      one cliff face was a collection of Snoozing Shorebirds: several Black
      Turnstones, plus Wandering Tattler, Willet, and Whimbrel!

      On my way to San Deguito Lagoon I decided to check out Scripps Coastal
      Reserve at the last minute, seeing as I was going right by it; I'm not really
      sure why I took this place off my list of birding spots because it's a nice
      little loop trail, and after that Wheatear showed up last year I think that
      put it on the map! The habitat IS a little sparse, however, but there was
      still no shortage of birds: if any back-east birder had to step on a
      California Towhee or they were gonna die, this is definitely the place I
      would send them! Also had another Golden-crowned Sparrow in addition to a
      migratory Savannah, and a family (I guess) group of Ravens having a big time
      sailing and looping over the cliffs! Also had a pair of Sharp-shinned Hawks,
      two White-throated Swifts, and a Tree Swallow whiz by here. Sitting at the
      overlook for five, I was looking at what I thought was a kelp bed, only it
      turned out to be a big group of Sea Lions with their flippers in the air!
      The only California Thrasher of the day sat atop a bush back at the trailhead
      and sang prettily, competing with the suburban Mockingbird next door...

      Finally made it over to the San Deguito overlook across from Crest Canyon,
      and the place was just stuffed with ducks! Even had both Blue-winged and
      Cinnamon Teal together! I'm also not used to seeing Redheads and Buffleheads
      in such large numbers, either! The only shorebird was an avocet (tide was
      still in), but herons and grebes got added to the list, as well as a couple
      of Rough-winged Swallows and the only House Wren of the day. The only thing
      I missed was the Belted Kingfisher that seems to perpetually be here, no
      matter what time of year it is! Also a surprise was no White-crowned
      Sparrows all day!! Well, the other two Zonos were nicer...

      Headed home after that with 71 species for the morning. Bird List:

      Pied-billed Grebe Podilymbus podiceps
      Western Grebe Aechmophorus occidentalis
      Black-vented Shearwater Puffinus opisthomelas
      Brown Pelican Pelecanus occidentalis
      Double-crested Cormorant Phalacrocorax auritus
      Brandt's Cormorant Phalacrocorax penicillatus
      Pelagic Cormorant Phalacrocorax pelagicus
      Great Blue Heron Ardea herodias
      Great Egret Ardea alba
      American Wigeon Anas americana
      Gadwall Anas strepera
      Mallard Anas platyrhynchos
      Northern Pintail Anas acuta
      Blue-winged Teal Anas discors
      Cinnamon Teal Anas cyanoptera
      Northern Shoveler Anas clypeata
      Redhead Aythya americana
      Lesser Scaup Aythya affinis
      Bufflehead Bucephala albeola
      Ruddy Duck Oxyura jamaicensis
      Sharp-shinned Hawk Accipiter striatus
      Cooper's Hawk Accipiter cooperii
      Red-tailed Hawk Buteo jamaicensis
      American Coot Fulica americana
      American Avocet Recurvirostra americana
      Whimbrel Numenius phaeopus
      Wandering Tattler Heterosceles incanus
      Willet Catoptrophorus semipalmatus
      Ruddy Turnstone Arenaria interpres
      Black Turnstone Arenaria melanocephala
      Parasitic Jaeger Stercorarius parasiticus
      Heermann's Gull Larus heermanni
      Ring-billed Gull Larus delawarensis
      California Gull Larus californicus
      Western Gull Larus occidentalis
      Royal Tern Sterna maxima
      Rock Dove Columba livia
      Mourning Dove Zenaida macroura
      White-throated Swift Aeronautes saxatalis
      Anna's Hummingbird Calypte anna
      Selasphorus Hummingbird Selasphorus sp.
      Northern Flicker Colaptes auratus
      Black Phoebe Sayornis nigricans
      Cassin's Kingbird Tyrannus vociferans
      Tree Swallow Tachycineta bicolor
      Northern Rough-winged Swallow Stelgidopteryx serripennis
      Ruby-crowned Kinglet Regulus calendula
      House Wren Troglodytes aedon
      Northern Mockingbird Mimus polyglottos
      California Thrasher Toxostoma redivivum
      Hermit Thrush Catharus guttatus
      American Robin Turdus migratorius
      Wrentit Chamaea fasciata
      American Crow Corvus brachyrhynchos
      Common Raven Corvus corax
      European Starling Sturnus vulgaris
      House Sparrow Passer domesticus
      House Finch Carpodacus mexicanus
      Orange-crowned Warbler Vermivora celata
      Wilson's Warbler Wilsonia pusilla
      Summer Tanager Piranga rubra
      Spotted Towhee Pipilo maculatus
      California Towhee Pipilo crissalis
      Savannah Sparrow Passerculus sandwichensis
      Song Sparrow Melospiza melodia
      White-throated Sparrow Zonotrichia albicollis
      Golden-crowned Sparrow Zonotrichia atricapilla
      Dark-eyed Junco Junco hyemalis
      Brewer's Blackbird Euphagus cyanocephalus

      71 SPECIES

      Mary Beth Stowe
      San Diego, CA