Condor Express Deepwater pelagic - rescheduled for Nov 14th

  • toddamcgrath
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 4, 2009
      Birders,

      The sold out Condor Express deepwater pelagic scheduled for November 7th
      has been rescheduled due to extremely bad weather exepcted offshore on Sat. The trip was sold-out, but due to the change in date, there are a limted number of spots available.

      We will meet at the dock in Santa Barbara at 6:30AM for a prompt 7:00 Am departure. Our goal will be the 2000 fathom water along the continental shelf, where species like Stejneger's Petrel and Mottled Petrel have been recorded.

      2009 has been a great pelagic season off of So Cal, as well as further north in CA. This is the final trip of the 2009 season, and I am looking forward to getting out at this time of year.

      The cost of the trip is $195, a bargain considering we will be covering over 200 miles of water round trip. No other birding boat in CA can get you out to the shelf edge and back in a 12-13 hour trip. In addtion, the Condor is a great boat from which to observe birds. The roomy cabin and great food for purchase make for a change from the usual pelagic fare. The boat holds well over 100, but we are limiting this trip to around 60 participants to ensure adequate room and ideal viewing conditions.

      Call the Sea Landing at 888-77WHALE or 805-882-0088 to reserve your spot. Let's hope for good weather and better birds on the 14th!

      Todd McGrath
      SKUA@...
      Calabasas CA
    • Ed Stonick
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 12, 2009
        Greetings Todd and others,

        The NWS report shows gale warnings for the Central Coast tonight and gusty
        winds continuing through the weekend. Is the trip still scheduled to go?

        Regards,

        Ed

        Ed Stonick

        Pasadena, CA

        edstonick@... <mailto:stonicks@...>

        _____

[...]

        SKUA@... <mailto:SKUA%40MSN.com>
        Calabasas CA

      • thunefeld
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 13, 2009
          Greetings Ed, et al

          Todd McGrath and Captain Matt at the Condor Express have been monitoring Saturday's weather every few hours for the past 3 days. Captain Matt thinks we are good to go Saturday (it was his call to cancel last Saturday). Thought was given to delaying the trip to Sunday, but while the weather maps are predicting gusty winds close to shore on Saturday, they are predicting only 20 knots or so out in the deep water which is where we will be heading, and the trip is currently a go.

          Of course, the forecast can change between now and tomorrow afternoon so stay tuned to CalBirds, but myself and 7 other San Diego area birders are loading up our vehicles and are on our way to Santa Barbara ON Friday morning, expecting to drink a few beers Friday night and go on a lusty, gusty ride with fresh winds in our faces on Saturday. If there ever was a day for pterodromas, Saturday is it.

          I hope the trip goes and look forward to seeing you onboard! Either way, I'll be in my comfy Carpinteria Motel 6 suite with Tom Blackman by Friday evening after dinner at Delgado's Mexican Restaurant.

          W. Terry Hunefeld, Encinitas
          Life is short. Seabird often.
          In memory of Luke Cole
          "Come on out with us to see what's out there."

          Southern California Seabirding Trips
          by: Buena Vista Audubon Society
          http://www.SoCalBirding.com
          Los Coronados Islands & Nine Mile Bank
          all the way to the edge of the Continental Shelf

          --- In CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Stonick" <edstonick@...> wrote:

          > Greetings Todd and others,
          >

          > The NWS report shows gale warnings for the Central Coast tonight and gusty
          > winds continuing through the weekend. Is the trip still scheduled to go?
          >

          > Regards,
          >
          > Ed
          >

          > Ed Stonick
          >
          > Pasadena, CA
          >
          > edstonick@... <mailto:stonicks@...>
          >

          > _____

        • Terry Hunefeld
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 13, 2009
            hi ed
            see you there!

            http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en&sourceid=navclient-ff&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS214US214&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=DELGADO%27S+CARPINTERIA&fb=1&gl=us&hq=DELGADO%27S&hnear=CARPINTERIA&cid=9412179699891935312

            --
            Join us for the Oceanside Christmas bird count:
            http://www.socalbirding.com/christmasbirdcount/2009cbc.html