Gray Silky-flycatcher at Santa Ynez Nov. 2, 2009

  • markbrown1848
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2009
      All:

      I was at private residence in Santa Ynez this afternoon and I heard a whit call. I thought it sort of sounded like a Willow Flycatcher. I went to look for the bird making the call and it was a male Phainopepla. Then another bird flew in the tree. I thought it was a female Phainopeple but it had a yellow belly! It was a Gray Silky-flycatcher. Photos:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/33835670@N00/4070437999 .
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/33835670@N00/4070438117 .
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/33835670@N00/4070503047 .
      This bird is on the supplemental list for the state. The first California record was from Ventura in 1976. This is a bird that is kept in cages in Mexico. Still a cool looking bird to see flycatching over a Santa Ynez street. The Committee says that all escapes of this species should be reported if they are also possible wild birds? Huh?

      Mark Brown
      Santa Maria
    • Dave Compton
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 2, 2009
        Mark,

        Wild or not, your Gray Silky-Flycatcher looks like a Phainopepla. If I'm not mistaken, the latter is more likely in Santa Ynez.

        Dave Compton
        Santa Barbara