Bar-tailed Godwit continues: Upper Newport Bay, Orange County

  • wagtail1997
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2009
      Group

      Arrived at upper Upper Newport Bay around 10 AM. High tide, not a shorebird in sight. Damn...... Parked on East Bluff Drive, and walked down Jamboree along the bike path to the overlook area of the outlet of San Diego Creek.

      Other birders there, none of us had seen the bird, but we knew it had been seen earlier. It turns out the Godwit had flown down the bay, and was on a muddy area on the north side of the bay well below us but giving views for earlier birders.

      As the tide receded, we started to see shorebirds..... lots of Godwits but not what we wanted. Then, the bird flew in from the lower area. First it was on the north side/mud spit below the outlet of San Diego Creek, and then flew across and landed 40 feet below us on the south side of the outlet. Gave fine views. Many birders by then were there and all satisfied. When I left about 12:15 the bird had flown up the creek, but was still visible.

      I took a number of photos with my super-zoom camera..... and I put two of them where anyone can see them on the auxillary website:
      http://members.cox.net/orcorba/
      One of the photos shows the two Godwit species in the same frame. The photos have only been cropped.

      Enjoy

      Joel Weintraub
      Dana Point, CA