Major Bird Rescue Effort at IBRRC - Update 10/30

  • torusert
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2009
      Oregon and Washington wildlife rescue centers are overwhelmed with epidemic numbers of wet, cold, and dying sea birds soiled by unusual sea slime. The first group of 150 of the slimed sea birds were driven Saturday from Portland, Oregon by van to International Bird Rescue's (IBRRC) Fairfield, CA bird center for treatment. On Monday the U.S. Coast Guard lent a hand. Using a C-130 a crew flew an additional 305 harmed seabirds birds from Astoria, Oregon to McClellan Air Force Base in Sacramento, CA.

      Because of the shear number of casualties, IBRRC is treating this emergency as an oil spill, with one significant difference â€" there is no oil. This means that there is no responsible party and therefore no financial support for our rescue effort. Here is the latest update - http://www.ibrrc.org/algae-slime-response-2009.html

      The birds being treated at IBRRC include the following: Grebes, Murres Red Throated Loons, Pacific Loons, Common Loons and Scoters.

      Individuals and organizations wishing to assist the effort should contact our volunteer line at 707-207-0380 ext. 109.

      Tom Rusert
      Community Outreach
      ibrrc.org
      Fairfield, CA