Lewis' Woodpecker in Los Carneros Park, Goleta Oct 28,2009

  • eppygriffin
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2009
      Hi All,

      I apologize for the delayed post but I couldn't get access to my account before now. On Wednesday morning around 7:30am I had a beautiful male Lewis' Woodpecker in Los Carneros park in Goleta. He was perched in the open on a large dead snag of a tree to the west of the "lake". This snag and the others near it are usually filled with squawking Acorn Woodpeckers but this morning when I looked up into the tree I saw a good sized woodpecker with an almost maraschino pink belly. Only one thing it could be in this area. I eventually got close enough and in the right lighting to see his other field marks clearly. As the guides say "unmistakable".

      The Google Earth coordinates are:
      lat: 34.441146°
      lon: -119.851085

      Ed Griffin