Oct 10 Monterey Albacore Highlights

  • Debra Shearwater
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 10, 2009
      Howdy, Seabirders,

      Monterey's seabirds put on quite a show on Shearwater Journeys'
      Offshore Albacore trip today. It was non-stop seabirding on mirror
      smooth waters from the beginning to the end of the day. Some of the
      highlights included: 24 XANTUS' MURRELETS; 1 TUFTED PUFFIN; a grand
      slam on the jaegers, with 10 POMARINE, 14 PARASITIC, and 7 LONG-
      TAILS; 11 SOUTH POLAR SKUAS; more than 1000 RED-NECKED and 750 RED
      PHALAROPES; 103 SABINE'S GULLS; 250 ASHY STORM-PETRELS; 3 FORK-TAILED
      STORM-PETRELS; 2 BLACK STORM-PETRELS; 1 FLESH-FOOTED, 1 BLACK-VENTED,
      86 PINK-FOOTED, 49 BULLER'S, and 11 SOOTY SHEARWATERS; 12 BLACK-
      FOOTED ALBATROSSES; and a big influx of 137 NORTHERN FULMARS; 2
      COMMON and 1 ARCTIC TERN, as well as the ordinary fall migrants.
      Everyone on board enjoyed excellent views of all of these species.

      Landbird fallout was detected with: 4 AUDUBON'S WARBLERS; 1 BLACK-
      THROATED GRAY WARBLER; 1 RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD; 1 VIOLET-GREEN
      SWALLOW; 1 Spizella sp. and 1 SPOTTED TOWHEE� nearly all species were
      40 miles offshore. The Spotted Towhee was new for our pelagic list.

      Marine mammals were just as spectacular, with 16 FIN WHALES; 3
      HUMPBACK WHALES; 2 BAIRD'S BEAKED WHALES, close to the boat, as well
      as 12 NORTHERN FUR SEALS; 1 NORTHERN ELEPHANT SEAL; 12 DALL'S PORPOISES.

      And, finally, the ALBACORE TUNA made a grand display, chasing PACIFIC
      SAURY over and over! Many, many albacore were seen, but we could not
      catch one. In all honesty, we didn't try that hard to do so. It was a
      throughly marvelous day!

      Our last pelagic trips of the season with spaces available, departing
      from Monterey are October 25 and November 28. Please contact me,
      below for a reservation.

      Many thanks to the seabirders and leaders on board today.

      Shearwaters forever,
      Debi

      Debra Shearwater
      Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
      PO Box 190
      Hollister, CA 95024
      831.637.8527
      debi@...
      www.shearwaterjourneys.com
      www.shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com

      **Antarctica, South Georgia, & The Falkland Islands, January 5-24, 2010*
      Shearwater Journeys' Exclusive Charter
      Waiting list available