Walt Sakai will present at LA Audubon's October mtg, 10/14, Wed., 7:30pm

  • Nicholas Freeman
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 7, 2009
      Hi Birders

      You are cordially invited to attend Los Angeles Audubon Society's
      monthly meeting Wednesday night, October 14, 2009, 7:30pm, Plummer
      Park, 7377 Santa Monica Blvd., West Hollywood, CA 90046, between La
      Brea Blvd. and Fairfax Ave. Refreshments will be served after the
      meeting at the bookstore.
      "15 years of bird banding in the Santa Monica Mountains: What have we
      learned?"

      Walt Sakai has been banding birds in Zuma Canyon in Los Angeles
      County the past 15 years. This chaparral-covered canyon attracts many
      resident and migrant bird species. It has chaparral-covered
      hillsides, and sycamore and oak trees dotting the canyon bottom.
      What have been some of the more unusual birds found? Do our
      chaparral species seem to be doing well in this "typical" coastal
      chaparral canyon? Are exotic parrots becoming more prevalent here?
      Walt conducts regular monthly banding runs and tonight, he will
      discuss the findings and trends of the species found in this
      wonderful canyon.

      Walt is also the chairman for the Schreiber Grant Fund for LAAS,
      which is given out to deserving non-professional avian researchers
      who have limited access to funding.

      We, and many others, have benefitted from his guidance at his banding
      station.

      See you there!

      Mary Freeman

      Glendale, CA

      Programs Chair and Fieldtrip Leader for Los Angeles Audubon Society