Winter Distribution of Nome Golden-crowned Sparrows

  • erpfromca@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2009
      I am re-sending this message (with permission) to the group as my original
      post and uploaded files were deleted. Very interested to hear from others
      (SoCal in particular) about this.

      I'll ask that folks reply to me directly (rather than to the whole
      listserve) if they have info or would like to see a summary of responses I
      receive.

      During my visit to Alaska this past June, I noted (as have many others),
      the very unusual Golden-crowned Sparrow song heard in the Nome area (I have
      uploaded two MP3 audio files to the CALBIRD Yahoo site: in "files" open the
      "GCSPsongNome" folder; one file is a recording I made using a video camera
      and the other is a much more professional one recorded by David Martin). I
      have certainly never heard anything close to this variation from this
      species in California. All the Golden-crowned Sparrows I heard elsewhere in
      Alaska sang typical songs, but ALL the birds in the Nome area sang the song
      recorded in these files.

      Variations of the 'oh dear me' song that add a flourish or trill at the end
      are common, but this is another beast entirely.

      I am curious to learn where these Nome birds winter and if anyone can
      recall hearing this song anywhere on the species' wintering grounds (I did
      receive a note from Martin Meyers that he heard a similar song in early May from
      a bird in the Carson Valley of Nevada, but that could well have been a
      migrant).

      Thanks

      Ed Pandolfino
      Carmichael, CA