Inyo Towhee songs

  • Steve Hampton
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2009
      The discussion of Golden-cr Sparrow songs reminds me of something I've never seen discussed: the song of the Inyo Calif Towhee. A few years back I was in Homewood Canyon and saw several towhees giving a full melodious song, reminisent of a Blue Grosbeak or House Finch. Our coastal towhees need a long take-off of monotonous notes before they can even get a few melodious ones (e.g. http://www.xeno-canto.org/sounds/uploaded/KZYUWIRZVH/California%20Towhee%20s%20sh%20SAdelaS%20700m%20031907.mp3)

      These guys just took off (vocally), singing from telephone wires like grosbeaks. I was quite surprised.

      Steve Hampton
      Davis, CA