Re: [CALBIRDS] Golden-crowned Sparrows songs Nome

  • Ken Burton
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2009
      I don't think this is off-topic since it likely pertains to birds
      wintering in California. I, too, was in Nome in June and at first
      thought I was hearing White-throated Sparrow, which, of course, doesn't
      even occur there. GCSP is considered monotypic (Pyle 1997), making it
      more difficult to ascertain the winter grounds of specific populations
      (my BNA subscription has expired, so I can't check there). It is often
      the case that the northernmost breeding populations have the
      southernmost winter ranges, which would put those birds in sw California
      and nw Baja California for the winter.

      Ken Burton
      Arcata