RE: [CALBIRDS] Golden-crowned Sparrows songs Nome

  • Alvaro Jaramillo
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2009
      Ed

      Once in Nome I heard one of the Zonotrichia singing the song of the other
      species. I forget which way it went, but it may have been a White-crowned
      singing a Golden-crowned song. It is not unlikely that a weird confusion has
      occurred there, where they are sharing elements of each other's song? It
      could be that there is a broad overlap of breeding habitat which puts the
      two in close proximity, I don't recall if other spots in Alaska had the two
      side by side like this, but it certainly happens in Nome.

      Again proving that there's no place like Nome.

      Al

      Alvaro Jaramillo

      chucao@...

      Half Moon Bay, California

      Field Guides - Birding Tours Worldwide

      www.fieldguides.com

      _____

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 2, 2009
        I don't think this is off-topic since it likely pertains to birds
        wintering in California. I, too, was in Nome in June and at first
        thought I was hearing White-throated Sparrow, which, of course, doesn't
        even occur there. GCSP is considered monotypic (Pyle 1997), making it
        more difficult to ascertain the winter grounds of specific populations
        (my BNA subscription has expired, so I can't check there). It is often
        the case that the northernmost breeding populations have the
        southernmost winter ranges, which would put those birds in sw California
        and nw Baja California for the winter.

        Ken Burton
        Arcata