Update: Orange County Rarities

  • wagtail1997
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 26, 2009
      First the Blue-footed Booby at the Dana Point Harbor jetty, Orange County, California. First found Thursday late afternoon by Robert McNab. Observed Friday AM after sunrise, but at some point left jetty only to return about 11 AM and apparently spent the rest of the day on the jetty. Saturday well photographed by boat by Monte Taylor (http://www.tsuru-bird.net) about 7:15 AM.... but by 8:30 AM was gone. Did not come back from 8:30 AM to at least 11 AM....next reported 12:55 PM. Not on jetty at 3:15 PM when I rechecked but flew in about 3:45 PM and was still there about 5:30 PM when I left.

      Conclusion: Bird has a routine.... seen on same rock of the long jetty at Dana Point Harbor for all sightings.... last top rock beyond the fog horn tower before the outer, long jetty slopes into the ocean. Roosts on that rock.... leaves in morning and also may leave jetty in mid afternoon. Therefore, from the 3 days of observation, best times to see the Booby is after sunrise and in late afternoon. I think the best viewing spot would be from the island in the Dana Point Harbor... after crossing bridge make left turn and park at the end parking lot. The end of the long outer jetty is 1200 plus feet from this viewing area.... scope really needed to see details.

      Second... Upper Santa Ana River. Great Crested Flycatcher.... found by Doug Willick today, seen by some up to about 2 pm today.... along bike trail along Santa Ana River downstream from Glassell from 100 yards west to area of Porta Pottie. Also in the riverbed: Solitary Sandpiper and above Glassell.. Brewer's Sparrow and Yellow-headed Blackbird in riverbed. Below Glassell... Plumbeous Vireo and below Lincoln Pectoral Sandpiper.

      Joel Weintraub
      Orange Co RBA Compiler