Got Cook's Petrels?

  • Debra Shearwater
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 12, 2009
      Howdy, Seabirders,

      COOK'S PETRELS? Yup, 24 today, on Shearwater Journeys' 12 hour
      Offshore to the Albacore Grounds trip. I'm jumping ahead of myself,
      though. The HAWAIIAN PETREL was the first pterodroma of the day!
      Linda Terrill spotted a large pterodroma, which was identified as a
      Hawaiian Petrel by Wes Fritz. We tried to chase it with the boat, but
      I decided to stop and have Wes lay his "magic slick." Then, I spotted
      the first two Cook's Petrels of the day about 0930 over the slick. In
      contrast to other days, most of the Cook's Petrels passed very close
      to the boat, giving the photographers crippling opportunities. The
      Hawaiian Petrel was also photographed. While we were on the slick, a
      small whale repeatedly circled the boat, and was even tracked under
      the boat on the fish finder. We saw the field marks of a STEJNEGER'S
      BEAKED WHALE. A single LEACH'S STORM-PETREL flew over the slick while
      110 Ashy Storm-Petrels sprinkled around throughout the day. The
      jaeger show continued with Wes shouting, "Jaeger ball!" A total of 93
      LONG-TAILED JAEGERS were tallied for the day. All species were in
      Monterey County. A full trip report will follow.

      Still looking for Cook's or Hawaiian Petrels? Your best bet might be
      the trips departing from Bodega Bay: September 16, 18, & 20; October
      16th. Our next Monterey trips are: September 24, 25, 26, & 27;
      October 3, 4, 10, 11, 25; November 28.

      Reservations: please email me: debi@...

      Pterodromas forever,

      Debra Shearwater
      Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
      PO Box 190
      Hollister, CA 95024

      **Antarctica, South Georgia, & The Falkland Islands, January 5-24, 2010*
      Shearwater Journeys' Exclusive Charter
      Waiting list available