Goleta/Santa Barbara Black Vulture - one more time

  • Dave Compton
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 10, 2009
      As of now, 5:35pm, the Black Vulture is not currently being followed by any birder I know of. But Wes Fritz tells me that it was seen at about 5pm, in the area last mentioned, around S. Patterson Ave in southwest Goleta. It was seen flying off to the west, in the general area where it was first seen at about noon today. This is off N. Patterson Ave in NW Goleta, at Queen Anne x Kellogg. So it appears that this bird may remain in the area at least until tomorrow.

      One more note: there is a well-known Turkey Vulture roost at Stow Grove Park in Goleta, which is at the SE corner Cathedral Oaks and LaPatera Rd in the northern part of town. This may be a good place to look late or early in the day. Try the redwoods in the middle of the park and the eucalyptus along La Patera.

      It's amazing how this bird has been repeatedly refound after disappearing again and again over five hours or so. If there are a lot of birders around tomorrow to fan out over areas it was seen today, maybe history can repeat itself. But if you ever spent time looking for the Goleta Zone-tailed Hawk, which covered many of the areas where today's bird was seen in the many years it was here, you know how hard it can be to find a large dark bird flying all around Goleta.

      Good luck.

      Dave Compton
      Santa Barbara