Sept 26th Pelagic from Santa Barbara

  • toddamcgrath
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 6, 2009
      Birders,

      The final Los Angeles Audubon sponsored pelagic of 2009 will be Saturday Sept 26th from Santa Barbara. We will be heading out with Capt. Matt aboard the Condor Express.

      This trip is an 8 hour trip past the channel islands. Our exact route will be decided the day of the trip based on weather, sea surface conditions and recent sightings, but we will head out past the channel islands either south or west.

      This is the peak time of year for fall migrants and species diversity should be quite good. Jaegers, Skua, shearwaters and storm-petrels should be present. Rarities at this season have included Flesh-footed and Manx Shearwaters, murrelets, as well as megas such as Streaked Shearwater. So far 2009 has been a great year to be aboard the Condor Express, with Parakeet Auklets and Horned Puffins found on the winter and Spring trips as well as 136 Cook's Petrels on our offshore summer trip. The northern end of the SoCal bight has been really productive for both birds and marine mammals all summer, and I hope you will come join us to spend a day at sea. Since this is an 8 hour trip on a very large and comfortable boat and is at the peak of migration, it would be a great choice for a first time pelagic birder.

      The trip is from 7:30 AM to 3:30 PM and is $115.

      The Condor Express is a wonderful, fast Catamaran with a spacious upper deck, roomy galley and great hot and cold food available for purchase.
      The boat holds well over 120 people, but we limit the number on our trips to 50-70 depending on the type of trip. There is always lots of room, and great viewing. As usual we will have a bunch of helpful leaders and spotters onboard to point out the birds. See socalbirding.com for a complete list of Socal pelagics.

      I'll be at sea for the next week, so please contact LA Audubon directly with any questions on signing-up. Instuctions and contact info are listed below. See you at sea.

      Todd McGrath
      Calabasas (and the SoCal Bight)
      SKUA@...

      NEW! FOUR WAYS TO MAKE A LOS ANGELES AUDUBON PELAGIC RESERVATION

      Los Angeles Audubon Pelagic Reservation Instructions 2009

      Option 1 MAIL A CHECK OR CREDIT CARD INFO: Mail your check or Credit Card information and a SASE (for trip confirmation and information flyer) for each trip requested to: Los Angeles Audubon - Pelagics P.O. Box 931057 Los Angeles, CA 90093-1057

      Option 2 TELEPHONE WITH CREDIT CARD: Call Los Angeles Audubon at (323) 876-0202 (Mon. - Thur.) 9:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

      Option 3 EMAIL WITH CREDIT CARD: E-Mail reservation request to: peltrip@...

      Option 4 FAX WITH CREDIT CARD: Fax reservation request to: (323) 876-7609

      CREDIT CARD USE: You may now use Mastercard, Visa or Discover to charge your trip. A small credit card processing fee will be added. Please be sure to include the trip you wish to reserve and provide the cardholder?s billing name, card number, expiration date, and the last 3 numbers (security code) from the reverse of your card. Also, provide the name(s), mailing address, contact telephone number, and email address (if used) for each person requesting a reservation. If you have any questions, please telephone the Los Angeles Audubon at (323) 876-0202 (Mon. - Thur.) 9:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

      CANCELLATION POLICY: Trips on this website are sponsored by different organizations using different boats departing from different landings and harbors. As such, policies vary from trip to trip. Prior to registering, please familiarize yourself with your trip's policies regarding reservations, cancellations, refunds and substitutions as well as reviewing driving directions, check-in times, procedures and equipment allowed on the boats.

      Before setting out on any Los Angeles Audubon pelagic trip, please call (323) 874-1318, #4 for a recorded announcement of last moment changes.

      Trip Questions may be directed to the Los Angeles Audubon staff, M-Th 9:30am - 4:00pm at (323) 876-0202, or email fldtrip@... fldtrip@... peltrip@... or peltrip@...