Hummingbirds & the Fires

  • debmcduck1956
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2009
      I am concerned about the hummingbirds and the fires. Hummingbirds and all birds are highly susceptible to poor air quality. All birds have intricate breathing systems - air sacs, lungs, and pneumatic bones, not just two lung lobes such as mammals. Hummingbirds wings beat an average of 53 times a second, and take almost as many breaths. They need to feed every hour to keep their metabolism up, and all of this years baby's (the fledglings) are still getting ready for migration at the end of this month. Hummingbirds feed on 1,000 flowers plus aphids, gnats and spiders every day. They are losing all of their food sources. If they don't beef up on their diet, they will not make the migration to Mexico. I feel strongly that hummingbirds are heavily affected by the fires.

      Debbie McGuire, Wildlife Director
      Wetlands & Wildlife Care Center
      21900 Pacific Coast Highway
      Huntington Beach, CA 92646