RE: [CALBIRDS] Great Knot id

  • Lethaby, Nick
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2009
      Joe:

      I would be wary about using pictures from Australia in mid-August since these might be first summer birds that spend the whole austral winter there rather than birds that had come back from Siberia. Is there anyone in Cairns who could comment on this? I would be pretty surprised if migrant Great Knots from Siberia make it back to Aus by mid-August. They generally don't get to Korea or Japan until late July/early August.

      Obviously none of the birds here are as heavily marked as the SD bird, but if they are first-summers it wouldn't be a fair comparison.

      Nick