red-necked stint photos

  • John Sterling
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 31, 2009
      Todd Easterla sent me a photo of the bird showing the lack of webbing
      between the toes. See last photo on the page linked from
      http://www.sterlingbirds.com/photos.htm Matt Heindel just emailed me this
      afternoon to point out that the important toes to look at are the middle and
      outer toes, so this lack of webbing in the photo may not be diagnostic.

      Although we acknowledge that this a very tough ID, we really think that this
      is a red-necked stint. Back in 1987 Ken Rosenberg and I found and
      photographed a bird in Humboldt County that had a similar plumage, but was
      ruled a Semipalmated Sandpiper by structural shape. So that lesson was
      learned-that the plumage of some Semipalmateds can look similar this bird.
      The shape of this bird however was very different from the nearby Westerns
      and Semipalmated. I'll try to get more photos tomorrow that clearly show
      this shape difference. It doesn't look like a Semipalmated to me based on
      structure alone. Very long and thin, especially elongated toward the rear
      and appeared to be shorter legged than the other two species. It looked
      very different in the field and was easily picked out by shape alone. We'll
      be sending our descriptions and photos to the CBRC and outside experts for
      their opinions.

      John Sterling

      VVVVVVVVVV

      26 Palm Ave