red-necked stint photos

  • John Sterling
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 30, 2009
      See link on http://www.sterlingbirds.com/photos.htm for photos of the
      presumed juvenile Red-necked Stint. Todd Easterla will be posting reasons
      why this is a juvenile Red-necked Stint in a separate email.

      John Sterling

      VVVVVVVVVV

      26 Palm Ave

      Woodland, CA 95695

      cell 530 908-3836

      jsterling@...

    • Steve Hampton
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 31, 2009
        The bird was seen this morning. The bird (and photos) look very similar to the juvs illustrated in:

        Veit, Richard R., and Lars Jonsson. 1987. Field Identification of Smaller Sandpipers within the genus Calidris; American Birds 41(2):213-236.

        which is a very helpful article.

        To find the bird, I recommend scanning thru the juv Westerns and looking for a short-billed, short-legged, small one.

        Steve Hampton
        ________________
        Resource Economist
        Office of Spill Prevention and Response
        California Dept of Fish and Game
        PO Box 944209
        Sacramento, CA 94244-2090
        -----------------------------------
        (916) 323-4724 phone
        (916) 324-8829 fax

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 31, 2009
          Todd Easterla sent me a photo of the bird showing the lack of webbing
          between the toes. See last photo on the page linked from
          http://www.sterlingbirds.com/photos.htm Matt Heindel just emailed me this
          afternoon to point out that the important toes to look at are the middle and
          outer toes, so this lack of webbing in the photo may not be diagnostic.

          Although we acknowledge that this a very tough ID, we really think that this
          is a red-necked stint. Back in 1987 Ken Rosenberg and I found and
          photographed a bird in Humboldt County that had a similar plumage, but was
          ruled a Semipalmated Sandpiper by structural shape. So that lesson was
          learned-that the plumage of some Semipalmateds can look similar this bird.
          The shape of this bird however was very different from the nearby Westerns
          and Semipalmated. I'll try to get more photos tomorrow that clearly show
          this shape difference. It doesn't look like a Semipalmated to me based on
          structure alone. Very long and thin, especially elongated toward the rear
          and appeared to be shorter legged than the other two species. It looked
          very different in the field and was easily picked out by shape alone. We'll
          be sending our descriptions and photos to the CBRC and outside experts for
          their opinions.

          John Sterling

          VVVVVVVVVV

          26 Palm Ave