Cook's/Hawaiian Petrel Trips & Canceled Fort Bragg Trip

  • Debra Shearwater
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 18, 2009
      Howdy, Seabirders,

      This post contains news of upcoming pelagic trips departing from
      Bodega Bay, north of Point Reyes, as well as an announcement that the
      Shearwater Journeys' pelagic trip scheduled to depart from Fort Bragg
      on September 18th cancellation.

      FORT BRAGG: The breakdown of the boat, Trek II, forced the
      cancellation of our sold out August 14 & 16th trips. The boat is not
      even hauled out for repairs at this stage. The owner/operator has let
      me know that he doubts that the boat will be fixed by the time of our
      next trip, scheduled for September 18th. Therefore, the SEPTEMBER
      18TH FORT BRAGG TRIP IS CANCELED. We deeply regret this action, but
      decided that it would be better to cancel now, rather than later,
      when it would be more difficult for participants to change motel
      reservations, etc. You will receive a full refund, in due course, or
      you may apply credit from this trip to another trip in 2009. Please
      contact Debra Shearwater by email to do this. The October 18 Fort
      Bragg trip will operate. Please see below, as we will continue to
      offer a trip on September 18th, departing from Bodega Bay.

      BODEGA BAY: We are offering a replacement trip on September 18th,
      departing from Bodega Bay. In addition, we are offering a dedicated
      Bodega Bay. The line up for trips departing from Bodega Bay now

      Saturday, September 5: dedicated chase trip for Cook's/Hawaiian
      Petrels, as well as any other rarities
      Wednesday, September 16: Bodega Canyon & Cordell Bank
      Friday, September 18: Bodega Canyon & Cordell Bank
      Sunday, September 20: Bodega Canyon & Cordell Bank

      For September 5th, the dedicated chase trip, please note that a
      "chase" trip is not suitable for small children or pets. A chase trip
      means that we are heading straight for the area where we think we are
      most likely to find the petrels, and/or other rare seabirds. It means
      that we probably won't be stopping for humpback whales, or
      necessarily any whales, or any ordinary seabirds. We are on a
      mission, as it were, to find our target species. In my experience,
      remaining focused on the mission brings greater success in
      accomplishing that mission! Scheduled leaders thus far, on this trip
      include: Todd McGrath, Linda Terrill, Scott Terrill, Steve Howell,
      Jon Dunn and Debra Shearwater. No discounts can be applied to this
      this trip.

      For the September 16, 18, & 20 Bodega trips: spaces are still open on
      all of these trips. Is it worth it to do more than one trip? You
      betcha! For one thing, the species mix changes every single day. It
      is migration! For another thing, woe be to those who sign on for only
      one trip, having traveled a long distance, only to have the trip
      weathered out. Yes, it can happen, although September is usually our
      best month for the best ocean/seas. I hope that you won't kick
      yourself when the next rare seabird shows up on the trip that you
      didn't do!

      The Bodega Canyon and Cordell Bank area, along with the "football"
      northwest of the canyon remain one of the most incredibly productive
      areas, anywhere off North America for mega-rare seabirds. Let's look
      at the list: Laysan Albatross, Short-tailed Albatross, Wandering
      Albatross, White-capped Albatross, Chatham Albatross, Salvin's
      Albatross, Light-mantled Sooty Albatross, Parkinson's Petrel, Great-
      winged Petrel, Streaked Shearwater, Cory's Shearwater, Greater
      Shearwater, Manx Shearwater and Wedge-tailed Shearwater.

      At this time leaders for the September 16th trip include: Lisa Hug,
      Peter Pyle, Steve Howell, John Sterling, Don Doolittle and Debra
      Shearwater. Leaders will be announced for the September 18th trip.
      Leaders for the September 20th trip include: Steve Rottenborn, Lisa
      Hug, Todd McGrath, Scott Terrill, Linda Terrill and Debra Shearwater.

      TRIP DETAILS: All trips are a GO. All trips meet at 6:30 am at Port
      O' Bodega in Bodega Bay. We will return about 4-6 pm. Bring lunch,
      dress warmly, including waterproof outer layers. Wear close-toed
      shoes. No Tevas. Parking is free in the big lot near the vessel, New
      Sea Angler. The boat is very comfortable, with plenty of deck space
      and seating.

      RESERVATIONS: are essential, as trips may sell out. Please contact
      me, by email (best). When emailing me, please include your cell phone
      number, and let me know that you have put a check in the mail, asap.
      (No credit cards) Reservations will be taken on a first-come, first-
      served basis. There are no discounts for the September 5th trip.
      Motels in Bodega Bay are quite expensive for the weekend of September
      5th, Labor Day Weekend. And, most are requiring a 2 or 3 night stay.
      I recommend staying at Motel 6, either in Santa Rosa or Petaluma.
      Motel 6 gives a discount for AARP members.

      The drive from Santa Rosa is straightforward, although you should
      allow at least 45 minutes to 1 hour to get to Bodega Bay from Highway
      101. Currently, no eating facilities are open in Bodega Bay for

      Please see our trip report for details of the August 12th Bodega Bay
      trip: http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2009/08/hawaiian-cookin-

      In addition, a trip from Bodega Bay on August 16th found both Cook's
      and Hawaiian Petrels. There has never, ever been a time like this
      along the California coastline to see these two species. It may not
      happen again, in our lifetime.

      See you out there,

      Debra Shearwater
      Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
      PO Box 190
      Hollister, CA 95024

      **Antarctica, South Georgia, & The Falkland Islands, January 5-24, 2010*
      Shearwater Journeys' Exclusive Charter
      Waiting list available