Ciff Swallow not Common House-Martin

  • Andy Lazere
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 13, 2009
      My Ebird entry was for 15 birds and should have been Cliff Swallow. I caught my error within 30 seconds and corrected it. Don't know how it popped up on John's radar in that tiny time interval. My apologies.

      Andy Lazere
      Laguna Niguel
    • Kimball Garrett
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 13, 2009
        Birders,

        Lest some in the California birding community fear that all sorts of
        horrific claims can end up on eBird by data-entry errors such as the one
        that just befell Andy, I wanted to point out that there are several
        levels of protections built into the system. If one enters a checklist
        for an Orange County site (or any California site), Common House-Martin
        will NOT be on the data entry checklist, even when the "Show Rare
        Species" option is selected. The only way to enter such a species would
        be to use the "Add Species" option, which takes several deliberate steps
        and is pretty hard to do by mistake. And even if one did manage to
        enter a Common House-Martin (or 15 of them) for a California locality,
        the record would be flagged and omitted from the eBird database of valid
        records until reviewed and validated by a designated eBird reviewer.
        [Maybe Andy or one of the eBird staff can explain how the house-martin
        error occurred so we can avoid similar pitfalls.]

        Many people are working very hard to drum up support for eBird and to
        ensure its cleanliness as a database. I know there are doubters out
        there, and I know that eBird is still shunned by many of the most active
        birders in the state. But in fairness, I wanted to point out that
        mega-errors at the scale of Common House-Martin in Orange County simply
        don't remain in the database. It's the many cumulative small errors
        (things that bypass the filters) that we all need to be on our guard
        about.

        Kimball

        Kimball L. Garrett
        Ornithology Collections Manager
        900 Exposition Blvd.
        Los Angeles, CA 90007 USA
        213-763-3368
        kgarrett@...

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 13, 2009
          A couple of sources for instantaneous eBird reports are the Rare Bird Google
          Gadgets found on many sites and Blogs, and the eBird Rarity Map available at
          Jack Siler's Birdingonthe.Net web site. A rare bird may pop up on either of
          these at any time but unless it has a green check mark next to it, it has
          not (yet) been reviewed by a regional or county editor for validation.
          Nevertheless, take any claim with a buyer beware attitude, but appreciate
          the fact that it is immediately posted in case it is legitimate. Green means
          go! Many of us reviewers take this seriously and look through the birds in
          queue list daily. Since time is of the essence it is most helpful to respond
          if asked for additional details or to include this information in notes with
          a submitted checklist. Something as simple as "multiple observers" is
          valuable information.

          http://ebird.org/content/ebird/home/birding-news-and-features/news/Google_Gadget.html
          http://birdingonthe.net/gmaps/eBirdMap.html

          Jamie Chavez