last call for curlew counters, August 7-10

  • LANGHAM, Gary
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5, 2009
      As you may have heard, Audubon California and PRBO Conservation Science are looking for volunteers to count curlews in the Central Valley August 7 -10.

      For the last two years, we've been looking at the importance of agriculture and irrigated pasturelands to wintering curlews. Past counts have revealed that the valley has about 20,000 curlews each winter. For this count, we've added 33 new areas in the Sacramento Valley. With a few days to go, I'd like to thank the 100+ volunteers for making the count successful.

      For the first time, we are close to complete coverage of the valley's 120 areas. There are still two areas open near Stockton and three near Visalia. Please contact me if you have any interest in helping us count. It looks to be a very mild August as an added bonus.

      Thanks,

      Gary Langham
      Sacramento