STILL COOKIN!! CHASE ON!

  • Debra Shearwater
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2009
      Howdy, Seabirders,

      Just to keep you informed of what is happening out on Monterey Bay,
      itself�

      Shearwater Journeys' Cook's Petrel chase trip of yesterday, August 2
      found the following:

      91 COOK'S PETRELS IN THREE COUNTIES: MONTEREY, SANTA CRUZ & SAN MATEO
      3 DARK-RUMPED PETRELS IN THREE COUNTIES: MONTEREY, SANTA CRUZ & SAN
      MATEO
      11 XANTUS' MURRELETS IN THREE COUNTIES: MONTEREY, SANTA CRUZ & SAN
      MATEO (all scrippsi, except one hypoleucus in Monterey County)
      53 LONG-TAILED JAEGERS IN THREE COUNTIES: MONTEREY, SANTA CRUZ & SAN
      MATEO
      48 RED PHALAROPES IN THREE COUNTIES: MONTEREY, SANTA CRUZ & SAN MATEO
      � first of the fall season
      4-5 BAIRD'S BEAKED WHALES
      1 MESOPLODON SP.� probable HUBB'S BEAKED WHALE

      We were 45 nm offshore at our farthest point. The seas were glassy-
      smooth. Most of the tubenoses were not flying, making it more
      difficult to find them, as they sat on the water. We did find small
      flocks of Cook's Petrels, sitting on the water. We saw the first
      Cook's Petrel of the day about 0930 and the last Cook's Petrel at
      1515 hrs. There may have been one STEJNEGER'S PETREL. We are not
      prepared to call this until we have a closer look at some
      photographs. Even then, it may not be conclusive.

      By anyone's standards, it was a knock-out day and a total success
      story in terms of chasing the Cook's Petrels, with Dark-rumped Petrel
      being a bonus bird! For county birders it was a dream trip! I will be
      posting a full report today. In this post, I only include the
      highlights.

      I would sincerely like to thank all of the birders who joined us on
      this trip, including many who drove long distances to join us. We did
      not have any "official" leaders. However, the following folks who
      lead for Shearwater Journeys were on board: Scott Terrill, Linda
      Terrill, John Sterling, David Vander Pluym, Don Doolittle, Matt
      Brady, Oscar Johnsoon, Lauren Harter, Mike Rogers, Denise Wight, John
      Hiles, Steve Rottenborn and Todd McGrath (Volcanic Seabirder). I
      would especially like to thank the following people: Wes Fritz for
      bringing his incredible chum machine; Skipper, David Lemon for
      literally going many extra miles; Larry, our deckhand; and Chis of
      Chris' Fishing Shop. Again, many thanks to the participants who
      arrived on such short notice.

      ***COOK'S PETREL CHASE TRIP: AUGUST 6TH, THURSDAY***

      Yes, we are going out, again! If you missed your chance to see these
      birds, now is the time to jump on board!!
      Details:

      ARRIVAL: 5:30 AM AT CHRIS' FISHING SHOP, FISHERMAN'S WHARF, MONTEREY
      DEPARTURE: BOAT LEAVES THE DOCK AT 6 AM, SHARP
      RETURN TIME: VARIABLE- could be 4-6 pm. Not later than 6 pm.
      BRING: lunch, drinks.
      WEAR: Close-toed shoes and rain pants and jackets to protect from
      spray. (It is not going to rain)
      FORECAST: at this time, the marine forecast is very good for the
      remainder of the week
      COST: variable, depending on how long we stay out- $145-185, and how
      many people sign up. Please bring cash to the dock, exact amount
      appreciated. No discounts.
      RESERVATIONS: are essential. Please contact Debra Shearwater by
      email, or phone today until 9 pm: 650-401-7236. Please sign up as
      soon as possible.

      Mike Force on the NOAA vessel McArthur II, was more than 100 miles
      away from where we were, much further offshore. Mike found one
      Hawaiian Petrel. Our find of Dark-rumped Petrels matches well with
      his findings! He seemed to run out of Cook's Petrels out there. So,
      it is quite possible that they are concentrated closer to shore�
      within reach of our one day trip from Monterey!

      Pterodromas forever and ever,
      Debi

      Debra Shearwater
      Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
      PO Box 190
      Hollister, CA 95024
      831.637.8527
      debi@...
      www.shearwaterjourneys.com
      www.shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com

      **Antarctica, South Georgia, & The Falkland Islands, January 5-24, 2010*
      Shearwater Journeys' Exclusive Charter
      Waiting list available