Lewis's Woodpeckers - Mines Road

  • Richard Cimino
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1 6:13 AM
      Anna Hrycin visiting from New York had asked me to lead her to view Lewis
      Woodpecker's so that she could photograph the species.
      Little did I know that we would run into mix of 10 adults and juveniles at
      a road side stand of what I believe to be Western Chokecherry.
      Traveling south on Mines Road from Livermore approximately half a mile pass
      road marker 22.0 ( Santa Clara County) on the left side of the road, we
      found 10 Lewis Woodpecker's.
      The Lewis's were mostly airborne, others may be sitting in oak tree snags
      on a hill side over looking the road side Chokecherry stand..
      We spent 2+ hours watching the Lewis Woodpeckers acting like Robins or
      Cedar Waxwings diving into the Chokecherry along with Western Scrub Jay's,
      Northern Flickers and other birds.
      Temperature was 89 degrees lots of sun on the dry hill side made it feel
      like 100 + degrees.
      There may be more than 10 Lewis Woodpeckers. (??)
      I made my count several times by counting airborne birds only.
      There may have been additional birds in the bush and hidden in the Oak's
      also.

      Richard Cimino

      Richard Cimino
      rscimino@...