CALIFORNIA IS COOKIN' WITH PETRELS!!

  • Debra Shearwater
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2009
      Howdy, Seabirders,

      Whoaa, what a day� history in the making! Look for a full report
      tomorrow morning. For now, I will give only the highlights of
      Shearwater Journeys' July 31 pelagic trip from Monterey:

      COOK'S PETRELS- 138!
      BULLER'S SHEARWATER-1, first of the fall
      LONG-TAILED JAEGER- 115, in flocks of 11-18, circling over the boat,
      as well as sitting on the water
      SOUTH POLAR SKUA- 3, first of the fall
      SABINE'S GULL- 32, first of the fall
      RED-CROSSBILL- 1, in the wharf parking lot (ah, I couldn't leave this
      one out)

      PRIMARILY THIS IS AN ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT A CHASE TRIP FOR COOK'S AND
      STEJNEGER'S PETRELS. HERE ARE THE DETAILS:

      SUNDAY, AUGUST 2
      DEPARTING FISHERMAN'S WHARF, MONTEREY
      BE ON THE WHARF NO LATER THAN 6:45 AM. (This means arriving in the
      parking lot at 6:30 am)
      POSSIBLE RETURN TIME: 4 PM (In view of Mike Force's recent report, we
      may stay out longer- please be prepared, and do NOT sign up, if you
      cannot stay out longer)
      BRING: LUNCH, WARM CLOTHES, SUNSCREEN, WATERPROOF PANTS (if possible)
      COST: approximately: $145 per person, no discounts. Please bring cash.

      RESERVATIONS: are ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY. Please contact me at:
      650-401-7236 from 7 am until 7 pm, tomorrow. OR, by email. First-
      come, first served basis. I am not at my office number of
      831-637-8527. If you left a message on that number, I will not get it
      for the August 2 trip. Please call me on the correct number, or email
      me.

      PLEASE NOTE: This is a hardcore chase trip. We will not be stopping
      for any of the common birds, or whales. It is strictly my call on this.

      I will write more, tomorrow. However, I would sincerely like to thank
      all of the folks who joined us on today's trip, especially the
      leaders and Chris of Chris's Fishing Shop. I thank Mike Force for his
      invaluable communication regarding the Cook's Petrels, both yesterday
      and today.

      May the Force be with you!

      Debra

      Debra Shearwater
      Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
      PO Box 190
      Hollister, CA 95024
      831.637.8527
      debi@...
      www.shearwaterjourneys.com
      www.shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com

      **Antarctica, South Georgia, & The Falkland Islands, January 5-24, 2010*
      Shearwater Journeys' Exclusive Charter
      Waiting list available