San Diego Brown Boobies (3); Skua, Murre, Oystercatchers

  • Terry Hunefeld
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 18 8:30 PM
      Greetings,

      Today, Saturday, July 18, 2009, Dave Povey, B.J. Stacey and two of his guests from Buffalo N.Y. and I pelagically birded the Nine Mile Bank off San Diego and the Mexican Los Coronados Islands off Tijuana.

      Things today were slower than Dave's Least Tern survey trip on July 13 when he saw three BROWN BOOBIES, a SOUTH POLAR SKUA and a COMMON MURRE, all in SAN DIEGO waters. Dave's trip report is posted to SoCalBirding.com:
      http://www.socalbirding.com/tripreports/sandiegojuly132009.html

      Today we saw 2 BLACK OYSTERCATCHERS on the Zuniga Jetty as we departed San Diego harbor, and counted 24 BROWN BOOBIES on the islands. Along the Nine Mile Bank we saw Black Storm-Petrels, Sooty and Pinky Shearwaters, Cassin's Auklets, Elegant and Elegant Terns, Common Dolphin, phalaropes and mola molas. Trip report:
      http://www.socalbirding.com/tripreports/sandiegojuly182009.html

      With next weekend's Condor Express and the Searcher trips sold out, the next SoCal pelagic charter with space available is the 48-hour Grande Trip on Mon – Wednesday, August 24-26, sponsored by the Buena Vista Audubon Society. Red-billed Tropicbirds, Cook's Petrel, Hawaiian Petrel and Craveri's Murrelets are possibilities on this trip. There are 12 spots left. Early birds save $35 if registered before July 30.
      http://www.socalbirding.com/upcomingtrips/sandiegoaug24262009.html

      See ya'll in Santa Barbara next Saturday on the Condor Express!

      W. Terry Hunefeld, Encinitas
      Life is short. Seabird often.
      In memory of Luke Cole
      "Come on out with us to see what's out there."

      Southern California Seabirding Trips
      Buena Vista Audubon Society
      http://www.SoCalBirding.com
      Los Coronados Islands, Channel Islands