do Yellow-billed Magpies range into Oregon

  • SiriusGuy@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2, 2009
      About two weeks ago, Magpies were evident as I drove along Highway 395 just
      south of the Oregon border. In fact, I saw one or two NORTH of the state
      line. I assumed that I was seeing YELLOW-billed Magpies, but after reading
      the 2009 Great Backyard Bird Count results, still ONLY California reported
      YBMA, while our state also reported BLACK-billed Magpies, including some
      from Alturas.

      Might someone with access to the official Oregon list advise if YBMA has
      been officially recorded in that state? Thanks.

      Alan Birnbaum
      Fresno CA
      steps!
      (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222585087x1201462804/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=
      JulystepsfooterNO62)

    • Jamie Chavez
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2, 2009
        According to the Oregon Bird Records Committee, Yellow-billed Magpie is on
        the "Records Not Accepted by the OBRC" list through 2009.

        http://www.oregonbirds.org/obrc.html

        Jamie Chavez
        Santa Maria, CA
        http://www.sbcobirding.com

        > About two weeks ago, Magpies were evident as I drove along Highway 395
        > just
        > south of the Oregon border. In fact, I saw one or two NORTH of the state
        > line. I assumed that I was seeing YELLOW-billed Magpies, but after reading
        > the 2009 Great Backyard Bird Count results, still ONLY California
        > reported
        > YBMA, while our state also reported BLACK-billed Magpies, including some
        > from Alturas.
        >
        > Might someone with access to the official Oregon list advise if YBMA has
        > been officially recorded in that state? Thanks.
        >
        > Alan Birnbaum
        > Fresno CA
      • Ken Burton
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 3, 2009
          Alan,

          Rest assured that they were black-billed, which is common in that area.
          I have heard reports of yellow-billed in the Ashland area but magpies in
          the Great Basin are black-billed.

          Ken Burton
          Arcata