Re: [CALBIRDS] Unknown Hummingbird

  • Terence Brashear
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 1, 2009
      For those of us not on [kerncobirding] or [tularekingsbirds] can someone post a link to the images?

      Terry Brashear

      Hennepin County, MN

      http://www.naturepixels.com

      birdnird AT yahoo.com

      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 1, 2009
        All,

        The photos were posted on the Tulare/Kings email list and may be viewed at:

        However, you may have to join the group to view the photos.

        For those who are not members and just want to see the photos, I have
        posted them temporarily at:

        http://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/myhu062709.htm

        I asked for permission to post the photos, but have not yet received a
        reply from the photographer, so this web page may disappear any time.

        On Wed, 1 Jul 2009 13:05:48 -0700, "Alvaro Jaramillo"
        <chucao@...> wrote:

        >Folks,
        >
        > If the bird was not huge, that is a bad strike against Blue-throated. Can
        >someone put the photos up where they can be accessed publicly?
        >
        >thanks,
        >
        >Alvaro
        >
        >Alvaro Jaramillo
        >chucao@...
        >Half Moon Bay, California
        >
        >Field Guides - Birding Tours Worldwide
        >www.fieldguides.com <http://www.fieldguides.com/>
        >

        > _____

        Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA jmorlan (at) ccsf.edu
        SF Birding Classes start Sept. 15 http://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/
        California Bird Records Committee http://www.californiabirds.org/
        Western Field Ornithologists http://www.westernfieldornithologists.org/
      • Alvaro Jaramillo
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 1, 2009
          Joe et al.

          Thanks for posting the photos. My personal opinion is that this is not a
          Blue-throated Hummingbird, it looks like a female Black-chinned Hummingbird
          to me. First of all, look at that broad, blunt and curved outer primary in
          the top photo, that is classic of Archilochus hummingbirds. Also the
          structure is like that of a small hummer, it just happens to be alert and
          with neck outstretched in the top photo. Furthermore, the structure does not
          look particularly long and large tailed. The facial pattern on Blue-throat
          should be that the dark is broader on the face, not just a restricted black
          loral line, the dark is broader before the eye, and behind the eye than on a
          Black-chinned; the pattern looks like Black-chinned to me. As well, there is
          a pale spot behind the eye on the California bird, but not a full stripe
          that heads down the side of the head, as there should be for Blue-throat.
          Finally the undertail covert pattern is not quite right, Blue-throats have
          dark longest undertail coverts, with white tips; this gives them a scaled
          look on the UT coverts. The California bird shows just a plain pale
          undertail covert area. Here is a photo to compare to:

          http://www.mdbrodie.com/birding/blue-throated.jpg

          Another: http://www.hummingbirds.net/species_images/bluethroatf.jpg

          Sorry to be such a stick in the mud, I don't like being the grinch at all,
          but this bird just does not look like a Blue-throated to me.

          Al

          <chucao@...> wrote:

          >Folks,
          >
          > If the bird was not huge, that is a bad strike against
          >Blue-throated. Can someone put the photos up where they can be accessed
          publicly?

          >thanks,
          >
          >Alvaro
          >
          >Alvaro Jaramillo
          >chucao@...
          >Half Moon Bay, California
          >
          >Field Guides - Birding Tours Worldwide
          >www.fieldguides.com <http://www.fieldguides.com/>
          >

          > _____

        • wagtail042000
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 1, 2009
            Williamson's ,"Hummingbirds of North America", cites a breeding record (no year given) for Tulare County.It does seem kind of small for a Blue-throated--but are juv. females smaller than adults? Craig Miller, McKinney, Tx
          • Todd Easterla
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 1, 2009
              Cal-Hummers,

              Here is two more cents.....This bird seems way to small for a Blue-throated Hummingbird to me. This bird also has no white line exteneding down from the eye. The white tips on the tail are not extensive enough. The tail is not near long enough.

              I agree with Alvaro that it is just a female Black-chinned Hummingbird.

              Todd Easterla

              <chucao@...> wrote:

              >Folks,
              >
              > If the bird was not huge, that is a bad strike against
              >Blue-throated. Can someone put the photos up where they can be accessed
              publicly?

              >thanks,
              >
              >Alvaro
              >
              >Alvaro Jaramillo
              >chucao@...
              >Half Moon Bay, California
              >
              >Field Guides - Birding Tours Worldwide
              >www.fieldguides.com <http://www.fieldguides.com/>
              >

              > _____

            • John Sterling
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 1, 2009
                I took another look at the photos and zoomed in closer. I agree with Al and
                Todd. Sorry to create a scare. The bird looked huge to me in the photo and
                the tail looked very long as well, but I guess that is due to the photo
                distorting the relative size. It is not the first time that I made a
                mistake on relative size in a photo! Again, I apologize.

                John Sterling

                VVVVVVVVVV

                26 Palm Ave

                Woodland, CA 95695

                cell 530 908-3836

                jsterling@...

                chucao@... <mailto:chucao%40coastside.net>

              • Coddlers@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 1, 2009
                  No need to apologise at all John.

                  I really appreciate the early alert to a possible mega-rarity - as well as
                  the subsequent education.

                  Thanks

                  Bruce Barrett
                  San Jose, CA

                  In a message dated 01/07/2009 15:39:56 Pacific Daylight Time,
                  jsterling@... writes:

                  I took another look at the photos and zoomed in closer. I agree with Al and
                  Todd. Sorry to create a scare. The bird looked huge to me in the photo and
                  the tail looked very long as well, but I guess that is due to the photo
                  distorting the relative size. It is not the first time that I made a
                  mistake on relative size in a photo! Again, I apologize.

                  John Sterling

                  **************It's raining cats and dogs -- Come to PawNation, a place
                  where pets rule! (http://www.pawnation.com/?ncid=emlcntnew00000008)

                • enoluvr
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 1, 2009
                    Hey group, I was unfortunate enough to have spent the whole day in front of the feeders at Kern River Preserve without luck and now I can see why. The bird never existed! So it seems. When I first saw the photos on line Blue-throated Hummingbird did not come to mind. But since people who seemed to know what they were talking claimed it was I decided to go. I was planning on going up there this week anyways, so I went, sweated and never added the bird to my state list. Duh! In fact, I saw a number of Black-chinned Hummers and said that looks like the bird in the photos.

                    On another note, there was a broad-tailed hummer seen by myself (not staking a claim on seeing it first) and a number of birders around 715am or so.

                    Gary Edelman
                    Santa Clarita, CA
                  • Joseph Morlan
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 2, 2009
                      A colleague suggested I post this to the group.

                      There is a phenomenon in size illusion where a rear object appears larger
                      than a front object of the same size when seen through binoculars, scope or
                      long camera lens. The actual foreshortening caused by the vanishing point
                      perspective doesn't change, but the magnification makes everything appear
                      closer so relative sizes become distorted. The illusion is apparent in
                      life and in photos.

                      Try viewing a rectangular piece of paper edge-on with binoculars. Put the
                      paper on a table and step back until you can get the paper in focus in your
                      binoculars. If you do it right, the paper will appear to be expanded
                      towards the back, like a trapezoid.

                      The effect is most evident when the paper is close to you, because the
                      amount of expected foreshortening of the back object is greater under that
                      geometry. The actual foreshortening is less, resulting in the illusion
                      that the back object (bird) is larger than the front. This is why even
                      relative size can be difficult or impossible to judge, even when two birds
                      are seen or photographed together for direct comparison.

                      The late Peter Grant wrote a paper on the subject in "British Birds" many
                      years ago and I was one of his study participants.

                      Reference:

                      Grant, P. J. 1983. Size illusion in birds. Br. Birds 76:327–334.