Unknown Hummingbird

  • Bob & Carol Yutzy
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 1, 2009
      Hello all,

      From our Arizona hummers experiences I am not sure larger properly
      defines Blue-throated Hummers compared to Anna's. They would more
      likely be described as huge or gigantic compared to Anna's - with huge
      long heavy bills. I haven't seen the photos but ............

      Bob Yutzy

      Bob & Carol Yutzy
      Shasta, CA

    • BRUCE DEUEL
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 1, 2009
        I would certainly second Bob's comments, having just returned from Arizona 3
        days ago. Blue-throats were huge compared to Anna's. At the same time, the
        first photo certainly looked like a Blue-throated Hummer to me. Hopefully,
        there will be more confirmation by lucky birders.
        Cheers,
        Bruce Deuel
        Red Bluff

        On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 12:02 PM, Bob & Carol Yutzy <boby@...> wrote:

        > Hello all,
        >
        > From our Arizona hummers experiences I am not sure larger properly
        > defines Blue-throated Hummers compared to Anna's. They would more
        > likely be described as huge or gigantic compared to Anna's - with huge
        > long heavy bills. I haven't seen the photos but ............
        >
        > Bob Yutzy
        >
        > Bob & Carol Yutzy
        > Shasta, CA
        >
        > Christopher Taylor wrote:
        > > ----- Forwarded message from John Sterling <jsterling@...<jsterling%40wavecable.com>>
        > -----
        > >
        > > Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 10:44:14 -0700
        > > From: John Sterling <jsterling@... <jsterling%40wavecable.com>
        > >
        > > Subject: RE: [kerncobirding] FW: [tularekingsbirds] Unknown Hummingbird
        > at KRP with TCAS
        > > To: 'Steve & Priscilla Summers' <summers@...<summers%40ocsnet.net>
        > >,
        > > kerncobirding@yahoogroups.com <kerncobirding%40yahoogroups.com>
        > >
        > > Holy crap!!!! This is a Blue-throated Hummingbird.
        > >

        > > John Sterling
        > >
        > > VVVVVVVVVV
        > >

        > > 26 Palm Ave
        > >
        > > Woodland, CA 95695
        > >
        > > cell 530 908-3836
        > >
        > > jsterling@... <jsterling%40wavecable.com>

      • Alvaro Jaramillo
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 1, 2009
          Folks,

          If the bird was not huge, that is a bad strike against Blue-throated. Can
          someone put the photos up where they can be accessed publicly?

          thanks,

          Alvaro

          Alvaro Jaramillo
          chucao@...
          Half Moon Bay, California

          Field Guides - Birding Tours Worldwide
          www.fieldguides.com <http://www.fieldguides.com/>

          _____

          On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 12:02 PM, Bob & Carol Yutzy <boby@c-zone.
          <mailto:boby%40c-zone.net> net> wrote:

          > Hello all,
          >
          > From our Arizona hummers experiences I am not sure larger properly
          > defines Blue-throated Hummers compared to Anna's. They would more
          > likely be described as huge or gigantic compared to Anna's - with huge
          > long heavy bills. I haven't seen the photos but ............
          >
          > Bob Yutzy
          >
          > Bob & Carol Yutzy
          > Shasta, CA
          >
          > Christopher Taylor wrote:
          > > ----- Forwarded message from John Sterling <jsterling@wavecable
          <mailto:jsterling%40wavecable.com> .com<jsterling%40wavecable.com>>
          > -----
          > >
          > > Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 10:44:14 -0700
          > > From: John Sterling <jsterling@wavecable
          <mailto:jsterling%40wavecable.com> .com <jsterling%40wavecable.com>

          > > Subject: RE: [kerncobirding] FW: [tularekingsbirds] Unknown Hummingbird
          > at KRP with TCAS
          > > To: 'Steve & Priscilla Summers' <summers@ocsnet.
          <mailto:summers%40ocsnet.net> net<summers%40ocsnet.net>
          > >,
          > > kerncobirding@ <mailto:kerncobirding%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
          <kerncobirding%40yahoogroups.com>

          > > Holy crap!!!! This is a Blue-throated Hummingbird.
          > >

          > > John Sterling
          > >
          > > VVVVVVVVVV
          > >

          > > 26 Palm Ave
          > >
          > > Woodland, CA 95695
          > >
          > > cell 530 908-3836
          > >
          > > jsterling@wavecable <mailto:jsterling%40wavecable.com> .com
          <jsterling%40wavecable.com>

          > > From: kerncobirding@ <mailto:kerncobirding%40yahoogroups.com>
          yahoogroups.com <kerncobirding%40yahoogroups.com>[mailto:
          > kerncobirding@ <mailto:kerncobirding%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
          <kerncobirding%40yahoogroups.com>]
          > > On Behalf Of Steve & Priscilla Summers
          > > Sent: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 10:09 AM
          > > To: kerncobirding@ <mailto:kerncobirding%40yahoogroups.com>
          yahoogroups.com <kerncobirding%40yahoogroups.com>
          > > Subject: [kerncobirding] FW: [tularekingsbirds] Unknown Hummingbird at
          > KRP
          > > with TCAS
          > >

          > > I'm forwarding this message just posted on the Tularekingsbirds. The
          > photos
          > > are on the Tularekings groups photos under the Birds_I_Vue folder. They
          > do
          > > look very interesting! I think someone close by ought to check this out.
          > > believe the bird was photgraphed on Sat.(June 27).
          > >
          > > Steve Summers
          > > Porterville, CA

          <mailto:CALBIRDS-owner%40yahoogroups.com>
          yahoogroups.com<CALBIRDS-owner%40yahoogroups.com>

          > > For vacation suspension of mail go to the website. Click on Edit My
          > these addresses:
          > > Turn off email delivery: mailto:CALBIRDS-nomail@
          <mailto:CALBIRDS-nomail%40yahoogroups.com>
          yahoogroups.com<CALBIRDS-nomail%40yahoogroups.com>
          > > Resume email delivery: mailto:CALBIRDS-normal@
          <mailto:CALBIRDS-normal%40yahoogroups.com>
          yahoogroups.com<CALBIRDS-normal%40yahoogroups.com>

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Terence Brashear
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 1, 2009
            For those of us not on [kerncobirding] or [tularekingsbirds] can someone post a link to the images?

            Terry Brashear

            Hennepin County, MN

            http://www.naturepixels.com

            birdnird AT yahoo.com

            On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 12:02 PM, Bob & Carol Yutzy <boby@c-zone. net> wrote:

            > Hello all,

            > From our Arizona hummers experiences I am not sure larger properly

            > defines Blue-throated Hummers compared to Anna's. They would more

            > likely be described as huge or gigantic compared to Anna's - with huge

            > long heavy bills. I haven't seen the photos but ............

            > Bob Yutzy

            > Bob & Carol Yutzy

            > Shasta, CA

            > Christopher Taylor wrote:

            > > ----- Forwarded message from John Sterling <jsterling@wavecable .com<jsterling%40waveca ble.com>>

            > -----

            > > Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 10:44:14 -0700

            > > From: John Sterling <jsterling@wavecable .com <jsterling%40waveca ble.com>

            > > Subject: RE: [kerncobirding] FW: [tularekingsbirds] Unknown Hummingbird

            > at KRP with TCAS

            > > To: 'Steve & Priscilla Summers' <summers@ocsnet. net<summers%40ocsnet. net>

            > >,

            > > kerncobirding@ yahoogroups. com <kerncobirding% 40yahoogroups. com>

            > > Holy crap!!!! This is a Blue-throated Hummingbird.

            > > John Sterling

            > > VVVVVVVVVV

            > > 26 Palm Ave

            > > Woodland, CA 95695

            > > cell 530 908-3836

            > > jsterling@wavecable .com <jsterling%40waveca ble.com>

            > > From: kerncobirding@ yahoogroups. com <kerncobirding% 40yahoogroups. com>[mailto:

            > kerncobirding@ yahoogroups. com <kerncobirding% 40yahoogroups. com>]

            > > On Behalf Of Steve & Priscilla Summers

            > > Sent: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 10:09 AM

            > > To: kerncobirding@ yahoogroups. com <kerncobirding% 40yahoogroups. com>

            > > Subject: [kerncobirding] FW: [tularekingsbirds] Unknown Hummingbird at

            > KRP

            > > with TCAS

            > > I'm forwarding this message just posted on the Tularekingsbirds. The

            > photos

            > > are on the Tularekings groups photos under the Birds_I_Vue folder. They

            > do

            > > look very interesting! I think someone close by ought to check this out.

            > > believe the bird was photgraphed on Sat.(June 27).

            > > Steve Summers

            > > Porterville, CA

          • Joseph Morlan
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 1, 2009
              All,

              The photos were posted on the Tulare/Kings email list and may be viewed at:

              However, you may have to join the group to view the photos.

              For those who are not members and just want to see the photos, I have
              posted them temporarily at:

              http://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/myhu062709.htm

              I asked for permission to post the photos, but have not yet received a
              reply from the photographer, so this web page may disappear any time.

              On Wed, 1 Jul 2009 13:05:48 -0700, "Alvaro Jaramillo"
              <chucao@...> wrote:

              >Folks,
              >
              > If the bird was not huge, that is a bad strike against Blue-throated. Can
              >someone put the photos up where they can be accessed publicly?
              >
              >thanks,
              >
              >Alvaro
              >
              >Alvaro Jaramillo
              >chucao@...
              >Half Moon Bay, California
              >
              >Field Guides - Birding Tours Worldwide
              >www.fieldguides.com <http://www.fieldguides.com/>
              >

              > _____

              Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA jmorlan (at) ccsf.edu
              SF Birding Classes start Sept. 15 http://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/
              California Bird Records Committee http://www.californiabirds.org/
              Western Field Ornithologists http://www.westernfieldornithologists.org/
            • Alvaro Jaramillo
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 1, 2009
                Joe et al.

                Thanks for posting the photos. My personal opinion is that this is not a
                Blue-throated Hummingbird, it looks like a female Black-chinned Hummingbird
                to me. First of all, look at that broad, blunt and curved outer primary in
                the top photo, that is classic of Archilochus hummingbirds. Also the
                structure is like that of a small hummer, it just happens to be alert and
                with neck outstretched in the top photo. Furthermore, the structure does not
                look particularly long and large tailed. The facial pattern on Blue-throat
                should be that the dark is broader on the face, not just a restricted black
                loral line, the dark is broader before the eye, and behind the eye than on a
                Black-chinned; the pattern looks like Black-chinned to me. As well, there is
                a pale spot behind the eye on the California bird, but not a full stripe
                that heads down the side of the head, as there should be for Blue-throat.
                Finally the undertail covert pattern is not quite right, Blue-throats have
                dark longest undertail coverts, with white tips; this gives them a scaled
                look on the UT coverts. The California bird shows just a plain pale
                undertail covert area. Here is a photo to compare to:

                http://www.mdbrodie.com/birding/blue-throated.jpg

                Another: http://www.hummingbirds.net/species_images/bluethroatf.jpg

                Sorry to be such a stick in the mud, I don't like being the grinch at all,
                but this bird just does not look like a Blue-throated to me.

                Al

                <chucao@...> wrote:

                >Folks,
                >
                > If the bird was not huge, that is a bad strike against
                >Blue-throated. Can someone put the photos up where they can be accessed
                publicly?

                >thanks,
                >
                >Alvaro
                >
                >Alvaro Jaramillo
                >chucao@...
                >Half Moon Bay, California
                >
                >Field Guides - Birding Tours Worldwide
                >www.fieldguides.com <http://www.fieldguides.com/>
                >

                > _____

              • wagtail042000
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 1, 2009
                  Williamson's ,"Hummingbirds of North America", cites a breeding record (no year given) for Tulare County.It does seem kind of small for a Blue-throated--but are juv. females smaller than adults? Craig Miller, McKinney, Tx
                • Todd Easterla
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 1, 2009
                    Cal-Hummers,

                    Here is two more cents.....This bird seems way to small for a Blue-throated Hummingbird to me. This bird also has no white line exteneding down from the eye. The white tips on the tail are not extensive enough. The tail is not near long enough.

                    I agree with Alvaro that it is just a female Black-chinned Hummingbird.

                    Todd Easterla

                    <chucao@...> wrote:

                    >Folks,
                    >
                    > If the bird was not huge, that is a bad strike against
                    >Blue-throated. Can someone put the photos up where they can be accessed
                    publicly?

                    >thanks,
                    >
                    >Alvaro
                    >
                    >Alvaro Jaramillo
                    >chucao@...
                    >Half Moon Bay, California
                    >
                    >Field Guides - Birding Tours Worldwide
                    >www.fieldguides.com <http://www.fieldguides.com/>
                    >

                    > _____

                  • John Sterling
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 1, 2009
                      I took another look at the photos and zoomed in closer. I agree with Al and
                      Todd. Sorry to create a scare. The bird looked huge to me in the photo and
                      the tail looked very long as well, but I guess that is due to the photo
                      distorting the relative size. It is not the first time that I made a
                      mistake on relative size in a photo! Again, I apologize.

                      John Sterling

                      VVVVVVVVVV

                      26 Palm Ave

                      Woodland, CA 95695

                      cell 530 908-3836

                      jsterling@...

                      chucao@... <mailto:chucao%40coastside.net>

                    • Coddlers@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 1, 2009
                        No need to apologise at all John.

                        I really appreciate the early alert to a possible mega-rarity - as well as
                        the subsequent education.

                        Thanks

                        Bruce Barrett
                        San Jose, CA

                        In a message dated 01/07/2009 15:39:56 Pacific Daylight Time,
                        jsterling@... writes:

                        I took another look at the photos and zoomed in closer. I agree with Al and
                        Todd. Sorry to create a scare. The bird looked huge to me in the photo and
                        the tail looked very long as well, but I guess that is due to the photo
                        distorting the relative size. It is not the first time that I made a
                        mistake on relative size in a photo! Again, I apologize.

                        John Sterling

                        **************It's raining cats and dogs -- Come to PawNation, a place
                        where pets rule! (http://www.pawnation.com/?ncid=emlcntnew00000008)

                      • enoluvr
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 1, 2009
                          Hey group, I was unfortunate enough to have spent the whole day in front of the feeders at Kern River Preserve without luck and now I can see why. The bird never existed! So it seems. When I first saw the photos on line Blue-throated Hummingbird did not come to mind. But since people who seemed to know what they were talking claimed it was I decided to go. I was planning on going up there this week anyways, so I went, sweated and never added the bird to my state list. Duh! In fact, I saw a number of Black-chinned Hummers and said that looks like the bird in the photos.

                          On another note, there was a broad-tailed hummer seen by myself (not staking a claim on seeing it first) and a number of birders around 715am or so.

                          Gary Edelman
                          Santa Clarita, CA
                        • Joseph Morlan
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 2, 2009
                            A colleague suggested I post this to the group.

                            There is a phenomenon in size illusion where a rear object appears larger
                            than a front object of the same size when seen through binoculars, scope or
                            long camera lens. The actual foreshortening caused by the vanishing point
                            perspective doesn't change, but the magnification makes everything appear
                            closer so relative sizes become distorted. The illusion is apparent in
                            life and in photos.

                            Try viewing a rectangular piece of paper edge-on with binoculars. Put the
                            paper on a table and step back until you can get the paper in focus in your
                            binoculars. If you do it right, the paper will appear to be expanded
                            towards the back, like a trapezoid.

                            The effect is most evident when the paper is close to you, because the
                            amount of expected foreshortening of the back object is greater under that
                            geometry. The actual foreshortening is less, resulting in the illusion
                            that the back object (bird) is larger than the front. This is why even
                            relative size can be difficult or impossible to judge, even when two birds
                            are seen or photographed together for direct comparison.

                            The late Peter Grant wrote a paper on the subject in "British Birds" many
                            years ago and I was one of his study participants.

                            Reference:

                            Grant, P. J. 1983. Size illusion in birds. Br. Birds 76:327–334.