Monterey Bay Birding Festival Sept. 24-27, 2009

  • watsonvilleflyin
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 20, 2009
      Welcome to the fifth annual Monterey Bay Birding Festival, home of one of the most spectacular birding and wildlife venues in North America. From soaring Golden Eagles to effortlessly gliding California Condors, cheeky Bushtits to gorgeous Townsend's Warblers, scampering Snowy Plovers to wheeling flocks of thousands of Sooty Shearwaters, few places can match the diversity of habitats as Monterey Bay.

      This year's festival is Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday, Sept. 24-27 at the Watsonville Civic Plaza featuring over 100 presentations, workshops, lectures, and half-day and full-day guided walks and field trips.

      Designed for both seasoned and beginning birders, as well as outdoor lovers, the festival offers a unique opportunity to explore, learn and appreciate world class habitats such as the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary, Elkhorn Slough National Marine Estuary, and Pinnacles National Monument. Specially designed field trips will take participants to Big Sur and the Ventana Wildlife Society to witness the return of the California Condors. Join a pelagic trip to one of the world's most productive regions for albatrosses, shearwaters, storm-petrels and more. Jump into a kayak and get closer to nature. All field trips are lead by top quality, friendly leaders.

      Our innovative festival theme, "Bridging the Americas Through Birds and Birding," will feature bilingual speakers from North, Central and South America. Learn more about the birds that we share between the Americas, as they migrant from one area to another. Bilingual, Spanish/English, pelagic trips are a "first" for the west coast! Evening speakers will bring to life the birds of Chile and Panama. Drop by our exhibitors' booths to discover the latest in optics.

      Registration for each birding event is offered a la carte, so that participants can mix and match outings according to personal interests. Online registration is now available at our web site: www.montereybaybirding.org. Purchase and print your tickets at home. Registration is $40 for the weekend. Activities costs range from $5 to $130.

      Most field trips depart from the Civic where parking is free. Check the program for your particular field trip, as some meet at the site.

      For the latest information and to register, go to www.montereybaybirding.org. For more information, call 831 724-3900.

      Dave Brockmann
      Steering Committee
      Monterey Bay Birding Festival