Whip-poor-will on Angeles Crest Hwy

  • Nicholas Freeman
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 20, 2009
      Hi Birders

      Tonight, Christopher Taylor, Nick and I owled the Angeles Crest
      Highway. It's the first time we've been up there since the Crest was
      re-opened a month ago and we sure miss the owl prowls when the
      traffic was non-existent in the high country.

      The biggest find tonight was WHIP-POOR-WILL at Mile Post 67.44.
      Conditions there were windy to breezy above 7000' and under clear
      skies and no moon. We made the stop at this site around 9:30pm. As
      soon as I stepped out of the car, I heard the call and I then got
      Nick and Christopher on it. The bird was considerably downslope. We
      went up the road about a half a mile but didn't hear it.

      I've not seen any other report of this species from Los Angeles
      County or the San Gabriel Mountains for about 10 years. The Crest
      had been closed about four years (due to storm damage to the road)
      and prior to that, Nick and I made limited owl surveys beyond Islip
      Saddle but don't know if birders made regular visits in search of
      night birds. I think previous reports came from Table Mountain and
      Wrightwood. Good to know they are still to be found in the San
      Gabriel Mountains!

      Happy Birding!

      Mary & Nick Freeman
      Glendale, CA