Melanistic Hummingbird

  • Al Borodayko
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 18, 2009
      Greetings,

      Steve Smith and I went up to Mt Abel, Los Padres NF, on Wed Jun 17. Along a turnout near the top we found what appears to be a melanistic hummingbird. It did not appear to be small enough to be a Calliope. Any thoughts on what it could be?

      I posted a photo of it taken by Steve in the Hummingbird folder in the photo section. It can be viewed temporarily in the new photos section.

      Also found a Brown Creeper in the campground on top of the mountain.

      Regards, Al Borodayko
      Cypress, CA