Horned Puffin, Thick-billed Murre, Arctic Loon Sonoma County-Sea Ranch!

  • teasterla
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 15, 2009
      Birders,

      Today, while on a short three day vacation, with my family at Sea Ranch, in coastal Northern Sonoma County, My self, Lisa Jorgensen, Tanner and Tayla Easterla were able to spot some pretty great birds. We positioned our selves on a high rocky point just behind our residence at Sea Ranch. This spot is about 3-4 miles South of the Mendocino County line on private property.

      At about 8:45 Am we found a HORNED PUFFIN. This bird seemed to resemble, due to a smaller dark bill, a first year bird. We were able to obtain photographs (digiscope) of this nice bird.

      Shortly after this we found another rare first year alcid a THICK-BILLED MURRE. Photographs of this bird were also obtained.

      Thinking we had already had a great day (or hour) we stumbled upon another good bird an ARCTIC LOON! We were very thrilled to say the least to find all of these great birds with in a total of about an hour. It was also nice to be able to digi-scope all of these uncommon sea birds.

      The ocean was pretty calm most of the time we were surveying from our look out. We also had a hand full of Marlbled Murrletts, Rhino Auklets, hundreds of Pacific Loons, Common Loons, Common Murres, White-winged Scoters (2) and other more common sea-birds.

      Sorry I can not give you the exact location of these birds as it is on private property. I thought I should get the word out any ways, just in case any one is staying at Sea Ranch in the next few days.

      Todd Easterla