Possible Arctic Loon at Moss Landing

  • Len Blumin
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 13, 2009
      Have posted some digi-scoped shots of the Moss Landing bird in album titled
      "Green-throated Loon".
      Yes, I know that Green-throated Loon (G. a. viridigularis) is the common
      name for the race of Arttic Loon sympatric with the Pacific Loon, but in
      naming the album Green-throated Loon I meant this only as a description, as
      Russell (BNA #677b) cites a study that 3% of PALO's have green throats.
      Taken 6-12-09 on the outing with Rich Stallcup's group. We likewise noted
      little in the way of white on the flanks, but as you can see from the photos
      there indeed was some white present, although not a lot at the rear.
      --
      Cheers,
      Len Blumin, Mill Valley, California