ARCTIC LOON ? in Moss Landing (MTY)

  • Steve Rovell
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 13, 2009
      Hi Birders -

      Rita Carratello called to tell me that Rich Stallcup found a bird that
      he thought might have been an ARCTIC LOON. So I went to investigate
      and continued the phone tree. Eventually Tim Amaral, Larry and Carole
      Rose, David Styer and Bill Hill had all joined me in seeing this
      alternate plumage loon.

      We all agreed with several field marks good for Arctic Loon. These
      included a green throat, the pointy V at the base of the green throat
      patch and a heavier and longer bill than what we would expect from
      Pacific Loon. Many of us also felt that the black and white stripes
      on the side of the neck and on the side seemed wide, but we didn't
      have a Pacific Loon to compare it to. Likewise with another
      fieldmark, the paleness of the nape. We just couldn't say for sure.

      Playing Devil's Advocate, we didn't see the prominent white flank
      patch we expected to see on an Arctic Loon.

      So, if all the experts out there look for Bill Hill's post (I'm sure
      it will be posted on this site, soon), you can take a look at his
      wonderful photos and put in your own two cents.

      The bird spent its time fairly close to shore just north of the
      jetties. It was hanging near a large group of otters and was easily
      spotted from the dirt parking lot at the end of Jetty Road in Moss
      Landing.

      In addition to the "Arctic" Loon, the following interesting birds were
      also seen:

      several (3-4) adult HEERMAN'S GULLS
      1 ratty-looking RED-THROATED LOON
      2 BLACK SKIMMERS

      Steve Rovell
      Marina, CA
    • Len Blumin
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 13, 2009
        Steve-
        Thanks for posting. I was there yesterday with Rich's group, but didn't want
        to post until I checked fruther with him, but with your note I thought I'd
        include my rather hurriedly obtained digicoped images, attached hereto.
        Cheers, Len Blumin
        Taken 6-12-09, 3 pm. Swarovski 80HD, 30X, DCA, Nikon 8400

        --
        Cheers,
        Len Blumin, Mill Valley, California