June 6 LAAS Trip Report, SoCal Birders in Hatteras, The Mother Of Pelagic Trips

  • Terry Hunefeld
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 13, 2009
      Greetings,

      Participants on last Saturday's June 6 Los Angeles Audubon pelagic trip to Santa Cruz Island were treated to close-up views of three Island Scrub-Jays, a close encounter with two Blue Whales and hundred of shearwaters, but the surprise bird of the day... one that had everybody aboard Island Packer's Vanguard oohing and aaahing was a.... well.... you will have to read the trip report and look at the photo....

      Photos, trip report and trip list are posted at:
      http://www.socalbirding.com/tripreports/oxnardjune62009.html

      SO-CAL BOYS GO TO CAPE HATTERAS

      Did you hear about the Petrel Grand Slam from Brian Patteson's boat on May 29? Bermuda, Fea's, Trindade and Black-capped all in the same day, PLUS European and Band-rumped Storm-Petrels. Photos of your favorite SoCal birders and the birds they saw, plus some photos of what it's like to bird off North Carolina's Outer Banks, can be found at the link below:

      Hatteras Photos and Trip Report:
      http://www.socalbirding.com/tripreports/hatterasmay2009.html

      MOTHER OF ALL PELAGICS

      The mother of all ABA pelagic trips aboard SEARCHER will run it seventh consecutive September long-range trip on Labor Day week, Sept 7-11 out of San Diego into the richest ABA pelagic waters at the richest time of year.

      INCREDIBLE SPECIES-SEEN LIST: September SEARCHER trips from 2003-2008 have amassed an incredible list of species seen: Black-footed Albatross, Northern Fulmar, Bulwer's Petrel, Murphy's Petrel, Cook's Petrel, Hawaiian Petrel, Flesh-footed Shearwater, Buller's Shearwater, Pink-Footed Shearwater, Sooty Shearwater, Black-vented Shearwater, Least Storm-Petrel, Leach's Storm-Petrel, Ashy Storm-Petrel, Black Storm-Petrel, Red-billed Tropicbird, Red-necked Phalarope, Red Phalarope, South Polar Skua, Pomarine Jaeger, Parasitic Jaeger, Long-tailed Jaeger, Sabine's Gull, Arctic Tern, Pigeon Guillemot, Common Murre, Xantus's Murrelet, Craveri's Murrelet, Cassin's Auklet, Rhinoceros Auklet.

      Seen in SoCal July - September and ready for addition to Searcher's roster are: Shy and Laysan Albatross, Stejneger's Petrel, Wedge-tailed Shearwater, Streaked Shearwater, Red-tailed Tropicbird.

      The diverse array of birds seen from SEARCHER is a result of a diverse itinerary - from near-shore to inter-islands to the edge of the Continental Shelf. We depart San Diego at noon and spend the day birding our way up the Nine-mile bank and other underwater banks, ridges and canyons. The morning or our second day at sea will find us in the Channel Islands. From there we travel north past Point Conception to Arguello Canyon, Rodriguez Dome, then spend two days bearing south past the San Juan Seamount and other seamounts at the edge of the Continental Shelf, 40 miles southwest of Cortez Bank, 150 miles offshore. We see lots of birds near shore and around the Channel Islands, fewer birds out along the shelf edge - but the shelf edge is where the rarities roam.

      SEARCHER trip logs & species reports: http://www.bajawhale.com/birdingtrips.asp

      Details on the upcoming September SEARCHER trip:
      http://www.socalbirding.com/upcomingtrips/searchersep711.html

      Not only does SEARCHER get great birds, it is positively luxurious with 4 air-conditioned cabins – 12 are double-occupancy and three are triple-occupancy, each with fresh-water sink, mirror and AC electrical outlet. Each cabin has sleeping bunks, storage shelves, and hammocks for gear storage. Each bunk has a private reading light. There are four sparkling-clean bathrooms on the main deck, two with showers. There are large, roomy birding and wildlife observation decks on the stern, upper deck, and in the bow area.

      Here is a typical participant comment following the trip: "The trip was truly a wonderful experience. As a veteran of over 100 pelagic trips, I would rate this in the top five I have ever taken. Great birds & mammals, great leadership, marvelous food & a very friendly and accommodating crew. It was also the keenest & most co-operative group of participants I have ever shared a boat with. I would highly recommend this trip to anyone who would contemplate taking it in the future. WELL DONE!" -- Mike Austin, Friendswood, TX

      Beverages and snacks are all included and are available 24 hours per day, in addition to the three delicious meals each day. SEARCHER offers a wide variety of special request meals and diets with prior notice. Meals are typically made from fresh meats, fish, and produce and are wonderful. There's nothing quite like standing on the bow of Searcher in the sun and wind with a hot, fresh-from-the-oven blueberry muffin and cup of coffee.

      One thing all the leaders agree on: you won't find a better meal at sea than SEARCHER. Fresh salads, home-made cookies, pancakes, bacon, burgers, pizza, roast chicken, fresh fish tacos, prime rib, ice cream sundaes, wine with dinner, warm brownies with ice cream, apples, bananas, oranges and a bottomless cooler of complimentary juice, coke, diet coke, bottled water and, most importantly to some of the leaders, beer.

      Southern California seas and weather in September are usually calm and balmy. SEARCHER accommodates 28 passengers very comfortably plus 4 leaders/spotters/chummers. There are 8 spots still available for this September's trip. We hope can join us. More details at:
      http://www.socalbirding.com/upcomingtrips/searchersep711.html

      W. Terry Hunefeld, Encinitas
      Life is short. Seabird often.
      In memory of Luke Cole
      "Come on out with us to see what's out there."

      Southern California Seabirding Trips
      Buena Vista Audubon Society
      http://www.SoCalBirding.com
      Los Coronados Islands, Channel Islands