Two more unknown birds

  • Stephen M.H. Braitman
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 13, 2009
      Hello folks. I've got another newbie query for you. Two young birds showed up in my backyard yesterday. At least, they seemed like young 'uns to me, with bit of down still showing. I've uploaded three pictures in the Photo archives on Yahoo. Are these young California Brown Towhees? Or something else? I did not see any adult Towhees around at the time, though we have many in the Terra Linda area of San Rafael. Peterson is not much help in identifying immature birds except for gulls. What's the consensus out there? Thanks!
    • Steve Sosensky
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 13, 2009
        This message should have been rejected based on lack of signature
        alone, but it also violates the new rule about only posting about
        birds with statewide importance. The bird, a Black Phoebe, is nearly
        impossible to miss in much of the state.

        At 02:19 PM 6/13/2009, Stephen M.H. Braitman wrote:
        >Hello folks. I've got another newbie query for you. Two young birds
        >showed up in my backyard yesterday. At least, they seemed like young
        >'uns to me, with bit of down still showing. I've uploaded three
        >pictures in the Photo archives on Yahoo. Are these young California
        >Brown Towhees? Or something else? I did not see any adult Towhees
        >around at the time, though we have many in the Terra Linda area of
        >San Rafael. Peterson is not much help in identifying immature birds
        >except for gulls. What's the consensus out there? Thanks!

        Good birding,
        Steve

        Steve Sosensky <steve at sosensky dot com>
        Aliso Viejo CA