Need help to identify bird

  • Cindy Hadden
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5, 2009
      Good Morning,

      Perhaps you can help me identify a bird. I spotted it twice this morning in
      Concord. Mind you the sun was just coming up and at its back both times,
      but it appeared to be all black, save a definite white rump patch about 1
      inch or more across. In flight it looked like a raptor to me. Tail was
      fairly long and I think it was just slightly curved at the bottom.

      Initially I thought it was a crow since there were several around the area,
      but no large beak, just a sleek rounded head and curved beak like a raptor.
      Couldn't see the color of beak, only the silhouette as I looked toward the
      light. The flight feathers were not long like a crow's but beautiful
      streamlined wings set forward toward the head. The second time I saw it,
      there was no mistaking the white rump. After trying to identify it online,
      the closest bird I could find was the Snail Kite, but they are only supposed
      to be in Florida. If that's what it is, I need to give it a map right away.

      It made no call either time, flies very smoothly and quietly and just skims
      the rooftops with quick turns. I thought perhaps some other kind of
      juvenile raptor that just hasn't changed color yet?? We also have white
      tail kites in the neighborhood but those juveniles I've seen look brown.
      Any suggestions?

      Thanks a million,

      Cindy Hadden, Concord