Costa's, Anna's, or hybrid? You be the judge

  • creagrus
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 19, 2002
      An interesting male hummingbird was at a feeder in Santa Cruz, central
      California, last month. When discovered we called it a male Costa's but
      others reviewing photos suggest a hybrid or backcross with Anna's. I
      have put together a page with lots of photos of both Calypte species and
      of the mystery bird, and have appended both my comments and those of
      Kumaran Arul. Additional comments from anyone with expertise on this
      topic are most welcome. If anything, it does suggest that molt and/or
      wear in this genus may produce unexpected i.d. problems.

      The page is at http://montereybay.com/creagrus/SCZhumm.html

      Cheers, Don Roberson