(Probable) Acadian Flycatcher photos

  • Steve Sosensky
    Message 1 of 4 , May 18 10:16 AM
      Hi Birders,

      When I wrote my post yesterday, I knew that Acadian Flycatcher was
      extremely rare in California, but did not know that there was only
      one previous record which was originally accepted and then
      overturned. Thus, I'm going to waffle a bit and call it a "probable"
      ACFL. That said, those of us who observed the bird yesterday found
      reasons to eliminate other species. Photos are in the KernCoBirding
      Photos section in the Rarities folder
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kerncobirding/photos/album/1761782397/pic/list.

      Good birding,

      Steve Sosensky,
      SoCA Bird Guides <steve at sosensky.com> www.sosensky.com/guides
      Nature Photos www.sosensky.com/nature_photos.htm
      Optics4Birding <steve at optics4birding.com> www.optics4birding.com
      Aliso Viejo, CA 92656 949-269-2161 33.56485 N, 117.72205 W
    • Steve Sosensky

        Message 3 of 4 , May 18 5:28 PM
          Hi Everyone-

          I'm spending the summer banding around the east (in West Virginia right now), so I thought I might have a unique opportunity to throw in my 2 centavos on this, since I am seeing some of my first Acadian Flycatchers, and am getting to study them right now pretty much every day. My first impression of this bird is that the throat does not look very white in the photos, though the bird is surrounded by leaves, so maybe the color is light bounced off the foliage. How did the throat look in the field? Also, the eye ring does not look like the bold, evenly round, white eye-ring (to me they look almost spectacle-like) that I am seeing on Acadian Flycatchters our here. The head shape seems to have a bit of a crest, and the tertials, although darkening away from the rachis, seem quite green-centered; which is not great for any Eastern Empid (altought I do agree that the tertial and greater secondary covert edgings look interestingly crisp). Anyway, just from
          looking at the photos, my impression of the bird would be to put it into the Western/Yellow-bellied camp (leaning towards western, with the eye-ring and head shape), but that is just from these photos. I'm looking forward to hearing other opinions.

          Good birding-
          Ryan Terrill
          Sugar Grove, West Virginia (paddle faster, I hear banjo music!)

          Message 4 of 4 , May 18 5:50 PM
            Hi All,

            Primaries are not near long enough in the photos for Acadian. I agree with earlier comments the bird most resembles a Pac-slope/Cordilleran type.

            Todd Easterla