White-rumped Sandpiper dip

  • gary woods
    Message 1 of 1 , May 15, 2009
      Jeff Seay and I met up with Steve Summers at the Kent Ave/Hwy 41 pond this evening and searched for it until dark without success. Birds were frequently leaving heading north so the bird apparently stopped in Kings County for 2 hours and had enough. Steve missed it by a minute or two and we missed it by 15 minutes. I was down at that pond at 5:15 this morning getting set up to take Red Knot photos at sunrise and the bird population was fluctuating all morning with new arrivals and departures. There were 6 Red Knots still there and 9 Whimbrels showed up when we left this evening. 6 gulls came by at dark and literally landed, shook their feathers and took off north-bound. Jeff had a Stilt Sandpiper there last Friday and there are birds moving through constantly so it's a good place to stop off right now, for some people anyways. Timing is everything! At least there are a couple of dozen Snowy Plovers to look at if nothing else. Gary Woods-Fresno