Cook’s Petrels, Laysan Albatrosses, Tropicbird

  • Terry Hunefeld
    Message 1 of 1 , May 11, 2009
      BUENA VISTA AUDUBON SOCIETY SOUTHWEST ABA WATERS
      PELAGIC PRELIMINARY SUMMARY

      Greetings

      Our 48-hour pelagic trip over the weekend of May 9-11, 2009 took us as far south and west as possible in ABA waters along the Mexican border.

      Leaders are still comparing notes, photos being sorted, but here are some highlights.

      All participants enjoyed the dynamic aerial displays of three COOK'S PETRELS on Sunday, two at the shelf edge and one at the Bell Bank.

      At the Nine Mile Bank we saw an unusually-close-to-the-mainland Skua and picked up our first two of nearly 50 BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSSES of the trip.

      Grande has never missed on Red-Billed Tropicbird on the weekend overnight trips and this trip was no exception – just beyond the Thirty Mile Bank at the San Clemente Basin we flushed a RED-BILLED TROPICBIRD and picked up our first two of 14 LAYSAN ALBATROSSES for the trip.

      We saw multiple Xantus's Murrelets with downy young, the first chicks seen just short of The Butterfly. More surprising were two HYPOLEUCUS subspecies adults midway between San Diego and their breeding ground of Guadalupe Island.

      Other species seen include LONG-TAILED JAEGER, ASHY STORM-PETREL and SABINE'S GULL.

      Full details will be posted to SoCalBirding.com within 48 hours under "trip reports."

      W. Terry Hunefeld, Encinitas
      Life is short.
      Seabird often.

      Seabirding Trips From San Diego
      Buena Vista Audubon Society
      http://www.SoCalBirding.com
      Los Coronados Islands
      Nine-mile, Thirty-mile, Sixty-mile Banks
      Cortes & Tanner Banks
      Channel Islands

      Keep track of SoCal Pelagic shenanigans.
      Follow us on Twitter:
      http://twitter.com/SoCalBirding