Santa Barbara Pelagic - May 16th

  • toddamcgrath
    Message 1 of 1 , May 6 10:36 AM
      Birders,

      The naturalists and docents that work in the Channel Islands National Marine Sancturay have chartered the Condor Express for an 8 hour bird trip on May 16th. The cost is $80. The boat will leave at 8AM sharp

      This will be an excellent trip for new pelagic trip participants, as we will be spending a lot of time discussing status, distribution, and identification of the seabirds and marine mammals around the channel islands.

      Our route will depend on weather and recent sightings, but our plan will be to spend some time in the channel, and some time south and west of the islands where some different birds and mammals are more likely. Weather is extremely unlikely to be a factor on this trip as we are not planning to go out to the shelf edge or some of the other areas that require good weather.

      May is the peak of the spring seabird migration, and we should see alot of birds. In addtion to migrants we will also look for some of the resident breeding seabirds such as Xantus's Murrelets, Cassin's Auklets, adn Ashy Storm-petrel.

      Please call the Sea Landing at 888-77WHALE to make your reservation. We will not be chumming on this trip at the request of the organizers, but I do not beleieve that will impact our ability to find birds at this season.

      There will be a number of outstanding leaders on this trip including Jon Feenstra, Dave Pereksta, Mike San Miguel, Wes Fritz and some others. The sanctuary people have booked most of the boat, so I would call as soon as possible if you are interested.

      There are a number of other trips scheduled for this spring and summer, including a 48 hour trip out of San Diego this weekend. Please check socalbirding.com for a complete list of trips.

      Good Seabrding!

      Todd McGrath
      Skua@...
      Marina del Rey (soon to be Calabasas)