volunteer for hawk migration counting in Marin

  • allenf21
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2009
      Hawk migration counters needed -- make your birding work for birds.

      Each fall, the Bay Area is host to the largest numbers of raptors (birds of prey) in the Pacific States! Tens of thousands, and 20 species, of hawks, kites, eagles, osprey, falcons, vultures, and harriers can be seen migrating over the Golden Gate. We need your help keeping track of them.

      For more than twenty-three years, the Golden Gate Raptor Observatory (GGRO) has been training people from all over Northern California to identify, track and monitor birds of prey. Hundreds of GGRO volunteers annually use counting, banding, and radiotracking techniques to keep a pulse on this immense raptor flight, and report our findings to state and federal officials.

      This spring we are holding our only new-volunteer recruitment classes for 2009 hawkwatchers. Come to a no-obligation informational talk at Ft. Mason in San Francisco to hear what's required and included. As a GGRO volunteer, you'll get lots of time outside in the beautiful Marin Headlands, and you'll give back to the environment while enjoying the hawks.

      Volunteers must be 15 years of age, and able to commit to one regular day in the Marin Headlands every two weeks, from mid-August through the beginning of December 2009, along with some weekend and evening trainings in July. The training schedule will be available at the meetings. Please join us for one of the three dates below to see if you want to help with this innovative conservation program:

      Wednesday, April 29 from 7 to 9:30 pm; or

      Thursday, April 30 from 7 to 9:30 pm; or

      Saturday, May 2 from 10 am to 12:30 pm

      All meetings will be held at the Golden Gate National Recreation Area headquarters, Building 201 at UPPER Fort Mason, in San Francisco. Enter Fort Mason at Franklin and Bay streets.

      For more information, call the GGRO at (415) 331-0730 or e-mail us at ggro@.... You can also visit our website at www.ggro.org.

      Thanks for your time.

      Allen Fish
      Director