Re: [CALBIRDS] What are these woodpeckers?

  • Peter Headland
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 26, 2009
      Stephen M.H. Braitman wrote:
      > Four of these guys flew onto a pole across from my house this morning
      > in Terra Linda (north San Rafael). I've posted the two of the
      > photographs in the "Photos" section.

      Four in a group is a strong indication that they would be, and the
      photo's confirm they were, Acorn Woodpecker. These
      gregarious/cooperative-breeding woodpeckers with the clown faces make a
      lot of noise - you can listen to their calls on the Cornell web site
      (Google for Acorn Woodpecker Cornell).

      --
      Peter Headland