What are these woodpeckers?

  • Stephen M.H. Braitman
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 26, 2009
      Four of these guys flew onto a pole across from my house this morning in Terra Linda (north San Rafael). I've posted the two of the photographs in the "Photos" section. Please take a look. At first, simple identification, right? But then I had my doubts. They don't appear to be Downy's, because they lack the white back stripe, and they have much more red on the head. No wing bars and other dissimilarities to sapsuckers. I'm really confused by the solid white forehead and throat area. Can anyone enlighten this neophyte? Thanks!
    • Peter Headland
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 26, 2009
        Stephen M.H. Braitman wrote:
        > Four of these guys flew onto a pole across from my house this morning
        > in Terra Linda (north San Rafael). I've posted the two of the
        > photographs in the "Photos" section.

        Four in a group is a strong indication that they would be, and the
        photo's confirm they were, Acorn Woodpecker. These
        gregarious/cooperative-breeding woodpeckers with the clown faces make a
        lot of noise - you can listen to their calls on the Cornell web site
        (Google for Acorn Woodpecker Cornell).

        --
        Peter Headland