Re: [CALBIRDS] RFI Sooty Grouse around the Kernville Area

  • Bob Barnes
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 23, 2009
      Rob,

      No reliable spots due to locked Forest Service
      gates until roads dry out. Unfortunately, Bald
      Mountain Lookout reliable Sooty Grouse population
      was reportedly hunted out during 2007 hunting
      season! Many, many people saw their first or
      annual Sooty Grouse along the trail in some
      reliable and easily viewable trees (often at eye
      level from slope) from the parking area to the
      lookout tower. Now they are gone! But, that area
      is all but surely inaccessible in late April.

      Wish I had better news. Maybe someone else has better news.

      Call the Sequoia National Forest to see if road
      is open north from Greenhorn Summit to Sunday
      Peak trailhead. If open, that might be your best
      bet ... walk along trail to Sunday Peak listening
      as you go. Then trying to find an individual.

      I have heard them in recent years around the
      edges of wet meadows between Johnsondale and the
      Western Divide Highway and at Holey Meadow
      Campground. It all depends on accessibility.
      Again ... call Sequoia National Forest
      (760-376-3781) to see if Mtn. 99, etc. is open
      from Kernville to California Hot Springs via
      Parker Pass (Thus allowing access to Holey Meadow
      and prior mentioned wet meadows.). FYI: These roads are paved.

      Call 760-376-3781 (Kernville Sequoia NF office)
      for Sherman Pass Road/Bald Mountain Lookout road
      access. Checking along Sherman Pass Road could
      produce a hooting individual/has produced singing
      individuals as well. FYI: Sherman Pass Road is paved.

      Call 760-379-5646 (Lake Isabella Sequoia NF
      office) for Grenhorn Summit to Sundahy Peak dirt
      road accessibility (gate locked or unlocked?).

      Bob Barnes
      Ridgecrest, CA