RFI Sooty Grouse around the Kernville Area

  • Robert Bates
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 22, 2009
      I'll be in the Kernville area this weekend, and in all of my trips up there, have yet to find a Sooty Grouse in the area. If anyone knows of any good/reliable spots, I'd love to hear about them.

      Thank you, in advance!

      Rob Bates

    • Bob Barnes
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 23, 2009
        Rob,

        No reliable spots due to locked Forest Service
        gates until roads dry out. Unfortunately, Bald
        Mountain Lookout reliable Sooty Grouse population
        was reportedly hunted out during 2007 hunting
        season! Many, many people saw their first or
        annual Sooty Grouse along the trail in some
        reliable and easily viewable trees (often at eye
        level from slope) from the parking area to the
        lookout tower. Now they are gone! But, that area
        is all but surely inaccessible in late April.

        Wish I had better news. Maybe someone else has better news.

        Call the Sequoia National Forest to see if road
        is open north from Greenhorn Summit to Sunday
        Peak trailhead. If open, that might be your best
        bet ... walk along trail to Sunday Peak listening
        as you go. Then trying to find an individual.

        I have heard them in recent years around the
        edges of wet meadows between Johnsondale and the
        Western Divide Highway and at Holey Meadow
        Campground. It all depends on accessibility.
        Again ... call Sequoia National Forest
        (760-376-3781) to see if Mtn. 99, etc. is open
        from Kernville to California Hot Springs via
        Parker Pass (Thus allowing access to Holey Meadow
        and prior mentioned wet meadows.). FYI: These roads are paved.

        Call 760-376-3781 (Kernville Sequoia NF office)
        for Sherman Pass Road/Bald Mountain Lookout road
        access. Checking along Sherman Pass Road could
        produce a hooting individual/has produced singing
        individuals as well. FYI: Sherman Pass Road is paved.

        Call 760-379-5646 (Lake Isabella Sequoia NF
        office) for Grenhorn Summit to Sundahy Peak dirt
        road accessibility (gate locked or unlocked?).

        Bob Barnes
        Ridgecrest, CA